Wonderous Stories cover by Magenta

The genius of Chris Squire
walker
Advanced Member

Wonderous Stories cover by Magenta

Post by walker »

Here's a great cover of 'Wonderous Stories' by Welsh band Magenta. Great playing by all, and a particularly nice performance by singer Christina Booth. (I can say that with my eyes closed, too. :wink: ) With the recent news of Benoit David's departure, I can imagine Christina as a replacement being quite the hit with Yes fans on the rest of the tour. However, I can't imagine YES ever considering a woman for the role of lead vocalist. For various reasons, I'm sure, and male energy vs female energy & presence do affect the interpretation of music and how it comes across. Yes is unique in that the songs happen to feature vocal parts sung by a man that are more common to a woman's vocal range, so it would figure that there could be more women than men who would be adept at singing these songs. Yes with a "frontwoman" would be different, that's for sure, but not necessarily a bad thing - I say this offering into evidence:

wints
Veteran RRF member

Re: Wonderous Stories cover by Magenta

Post by wints »

Not bad....But the bass simply doesn't get it done here in my honest...
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

at a recent band rehearsal,we had a female singer/guitarist guesting. she spent a few minutes tuning an acoustic 12 string,then started strumming and singing "your move".
i was in heaven,and really loved hearing the song done justice by a woman. she had a Genya Raven type of voice,but it worked! turns out she is a huge Prog fan,and i still hate it that she was just passing through town back to her home in southern Cal.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

i liked the Magenta cover,too. actually it was kind of nice hearing the bass without the envelope filter on it. i personally seldom try to learn bass parts for cover songs exactly like the originals,hmmm ,sort of like when Yes did covers and made them their own.....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I'm with Andy - the bass is very anemic. It needs to cut through. He needs to do something with pedals, amp, or something. Even taking CS out of the equation, he needs to be heard. From what I could hear, his part was good, just not cutting through.

I really like Magenta's take on Wondrous Stories. Very nice, and she can really sing it.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

johnallg wrote:I really like Magenta's take on Wondrous Stories. Very nice, and she can really sing it.
Right? Her pitch is spot-on, and great emotion.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I like it. Thanks Mark. :D
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”