New Byrds cover - Why

Those who flock to The Byrds
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

New Byrds cover - Why

Post by beatbyrd »

I figured, why not? It's at the bottom of the page here: http://beatbyrd.com/byrds
My 360/12 could probably use a set of toasters. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
DoubleThink

Re: New Byrds cover - Why

Post by DoubleThink »

beatbyrd wrote:I figured, why not?
Glad you did. I hear what you mean re: toasters. I'd never really considered how hot high gains can be, so this was a good comparison.

Great stuff, Tom. Thanks for sharing :D
Rics ... and some other stuff....
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Pretty impressive. And all the more so since I'm beginning to find out first hand how difficult it is to be a one man studio band.
JimK
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

jimk wrote:Pretty impressive. And all the more so since I'm beginning to find out first hand how difficult it is to be a one man studio band.
JimK
I'll agree with you there, Jim. I can play pretty much anything (no comments on skill), but learning to do everything else is uphill for me. For me, one of the toughest aspects of recording is programming a decent drum pattern, but I'm even worse when it comes to a real kit! Tom gets a really solid rhythm section with each recording. Kudos to Tom's one-man-band recording skills.

Tom, I still love your take on the Airplane's "Today". I think I sent a note your way after hearing your rendition for the first time. Simply, it's solid, as is this take.
Last edited by DoubleThink on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Yes, the drum tracks are among the many underlying strengths of Tom's recordings. This is one of my favorite Byrds tracks, and I think you've done it justice. You've nailed the solo quite accurately and the vocals are strong, although they seem a bit too much on top of the mix. I would have preferred a louder, punchier, guitar sound, that obscured the vocals a bit. But there's always something minor to cavil about. Fine work, as always, and keep us posted when there's more! :D
Steve Gunderson

Post by Steve Gunderson »

There was the single version of 'Why; and also what is called the alternative RCA version. I seem to remember that there was a third version of this song, but maybe not. Anyone know?
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Folkie wrote: You've nailed the solo quite accurately and the vocals are strong, although they seem a bit too much on top of the mix. I would have preferred a louder, punchier, guitar sound, that obscured the vocals a bit. :D
Done, sort of. I took your advice, Robert and remixed the song, slightly lowering the vocals and boosting the kick drum and Crosby guitar tracks. I'm certainly not skilled at getting good guitar tones and can use any and all suggestions in that department. Thanks to all for the comments. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

beatbyrd wrote:
Folkie wrote: You've nailed the solo quite accurately and the vocals are strong, although they seem a bit too much on top of the mix. I would have preferred a louder, punchier, guitar sound, that obscured the vocals a bit. :D
Done, sort of. I took your advice, Robert and remixed the song, slightly lowering the vocals and boosting the kick drum and Crosby guitar tracks. I'm certainly not skilled at getting good guitar tones and can use any and all suggestions in that department. Thanks to all for the comments. Tom
Tom,

It's precisely because of the high standards you set for your recordings that I take the time to offer whatever advice I can. You get some great guitar tones, and the vocals on your recordings always really shine. I think the new version of "Why" is much-improved: the guitar and drum parts are more aggressive, and the vocals (which were always strong) are mixed just right (that is, assuming you've posted a remixed version on your website and I'm not totally imagining things). :lol: It's always a pleasure to listen to your stuff. Would you consider doing a version of "If You're Gone" from Turn! Turn! Turn!?

Robert
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Folkie wrote:Tom,

It's precisely because of the high standards you set for your recordings that I take the time to offer whatever advice I can. You get some great guitar tones, and the vocals on your recordings always really shine. I think the new version of "Why" is much-improved: the guitar and drum parts are more aggressive, and the vocals (which were always strong) are mixed just right (that is, assuming you've posted a remixed version on your website and I'm not totally imagining things). :lol: It's always a pleasure to listen to your stuff. Would you consider doing a version of "If You're Gone" from Turn! Turn! Turn!?

Robert
No, I don't play games like that..... There is a newly remixed version on my site, with the changes that I mentioned earlier. The thing is, when you're doing all of the parts, there's a 'fatigue' that sets in, especially when it comes time to mix. The best thing to do would be to wait at least a week after all the parts have been recorded; then mix. I mix them ASAP. That's why the comments from others help so much.
I've considered doing that song, but there's just not much to it, except for the harmony droning. I'd rather do "Set You Free This Time" for a Gene song. I actually wanted to do "I See You" instead of "Why", but stayed away because someone else just posted a cover recently. I'm not competing with anyone. That's why Pat (from the Byrds Collective) checked with me before posting their version of "It Won't Be Wrong". He and I agree that it would be kind of small to try and steal someone else's thunder. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

beatbyrd wrote:
Robert
No, I don't play games like that..... There is a newly remixed version on my site, with the changes that I mentioned earlier. The thing is, when you're doing all of the parts, there's a 'fatigue' that sets in, especially when it comes time to mix. The best thing to do would be to wait at least a week after all the parts have been recorded; then mix. I mix them ASAP. That's why the comments from others help so much.
I've considered doing that song, but there's just not much to it, except for the harmony droning. I'd rather do "Set You Free This Time" for a Gene song. I actually wanted to do "I See You" instead of "Why", but stayed away because someone else just posted a cover recently. I'm not competing with anyone. That's why Pat (from the Byrds Collective) checked with me before posting their version of "It Won't Be Wrong". He and I agree that it would be kind of small to try and steal someone else's thunder. Tom[/quote]

Tom,

I hear you loud and clear about having to get a certain distance from a recording in order to do the best mixdown. It's like revising an essay or a short story:
I often find I have to put a piece on the back burner for a few days or weeks in order to look at it objectively and dispassionately, and to make the necessary changes. Anyway, I'm very happy with the way the song turned out, and I'm glad I was able to help a little along the way. I look forward to hearing your version of "Set You Free This Time." 8)

Robert
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

beatbyrd wrote:
Folkie wrote:Tom,

Robert
I've considered doing that song, but there's just not much to it, except for the harmony droning. I'd rather do "Set You Free This Time" for a Gene song. I actually wanted to do "I See You" instead of "Why", but stayed away because someone else just posted a cover recently. I'm not competing with anyone. That's why Pat (from the Byrds Collective) checked with me before posting their version of "It Won't Be Wrong". He and I agree that it would be kind of small to try and steal someone else's thunder. Tom
Tom,

I hear you loud and clear about having to get a certain distance from a recording in order to do the best mixdown. It's like revising an essay or a short story: I often find I have to put a piece on the back burner for a few days or weeks in order to look at it objectively and dispassionately, and to make the necessary changes. Anyway, I'm very happy with the way the song turned out, and I'm glad I was able to help a little along the way. :D

Robert
8mileshigher

New Byrds cover - Why

Post by 8mileshigher »

Tom -- another nice job. :) I enjoy your vocals mix on this and your 360-12 sounded chimey.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

DoubleThink wrote: Tom, I still love your take on the Airplane's "Today". I think I sent a note your way after hearing your rendition for the first time. Simply, it's solid, as is this take.
Well, after being inspired by your comment and the fact that "Today" was posted just about a year ago, I did another Airplane cover from "Surrealistic Pillow": 'How Do You Feel'. It's on the bottom of the page here:
http://beatbyrd.com/misc_covers

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

beatbyrd wrote:I did another Airplane cover from "Surrealistic Pillow": 'How Do You Feel'. It's on the bottom of the page here:
http://beatbyrd.com/misc_covers
Tom, a perfect birthday gift. (OK, a day or two later, but I stopped counting one day ... or my memory gave up....)

Love it. One of my fave tracks from a fave album. Thanks.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”