Selmer Little Giant

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

octagon

Selmer Little Giant

Post by octagon »

I bought it to go with my Hofner Senator.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I think it is basically the same amp as the one in this video

octagon

Re: Selmer Little Giant

Post by octagon »

Got my amp yesterday.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You definitely do not want to go sticking your hands in back, especially if the amp is on! :shock:
octagon

Post by octagon »

jps wrote:You definitely do not want to go sticking your hands in back, especially if the amp is on! :shock:
No way! I'll just use a pair of scissors.

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Congratulations, Mitch. That looks like a cool, old tube amp. . . :D 8) :D 8)

My only concern is, the tube "chassis" looks extremely, er... flexible... :shock:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
octagon

Post by octagon »

paologregorio wrote:Congratulations, Mitch. That looks like a cool, old tube amp. . . :D 8) :D 8)

My only concern is, the tube "chassis" looks extremely, er... flexible... :shock:
Haha,yeah,this is what the 50s version of The Little Giant looked like inside

Mine is what the 1963 Selmer catalog called "The New Little Giant"

Keith Richards first amp was a Little Giant He talked about it in his autobiography. I also read an interview with Robin Trower in Guitar Player Magazine in which he talks about his Little Giant:

"I used to play through a Selmer Little Giant valve (tube) amp which had one tiny speaker in it, and I ran a jack lead off the speaker points into a small Fender. That way, I got some of the hardness above it from the Fender and all my distortion sort of smoothness from overloading the Selmer. But, unfortunately, when it came to playing bigger places needing a bigger sound, I tried running the Selmer through a Marshall, and it didn't work. When you start to wind up the wick a bit it used to start whistling; therefore, I had to break down and start all over again to get the sound I liked. But on songs like Repent Walpurgis [Procol Harum], that's the Little Giant with the Fender, and I used my Chet Atkins solidbody."

There were 4 different versions of the Selmer Little Giant. These are owned by James Stevenson from The Alarm

He used the Croc Skin Little Giant for some recordings on the Poppyfield album like the opening chords of Trafficking(before the band comes in).

Rayomatic

Post by Rayomatic »

I got one about 4-5 years ago. They're cute...I'd love to have 'em all like an old radio collection. So teeny, my mom brought it back from Europe in her purse!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”