McGuinn Folk DVD

Those who flock to The Byrds
Folkie
Advanced Member

McGuinn Folk DVD

Post by Folkie »

Just thought I would post here with a few questions about "Roger McGuinn's Basic Folk Guitar" DVD. My main concern (based on the title) is that the DVD will be too remedial for a moderately-advanced player. Does Roger start from the beginning? Are the chords oversimplified? Is there a section or two on fingerstyle technique? Are the easy sections balanced by more advanced ones? In short, how much might I glean from the DVD? Enough to justify a $30 purchase :?:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: McGuinn Folk DVD

Post by jimk »

Here's a snippet from that DVD.

JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks for the clip, Jim! Looks like I can glean a few things from the DVD. Am I correct that it came out in 2003?

Robert
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jim,

One thing I forgot to ask: Is "Chestnut Mare" filmed and tabbed in its entirety?

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I'm not sure when it came out. My guess is it came out at about the same time his 12 string video came out. Both are from Homespun Tapes.

I'm sure that Homespun which always includes a TAB booklet with their videos has the complete version of Chestnut Mare.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, Jim. I think "Chestnut Mare" is also in that Wise Publications book (the only Byrds tab book I know of). By the way, I'm plugging away at the beginning fingerstyle exercises, and, although things still feel awkward, I think I'm making some progress. When I get too frustrated with my fingers, I work on some faster flatpicking (ie. the last lesson in McGuinn's 12-string DVD: "I Wasn't Born to Follow.") It helps that my Alavarez 12-string was just set up with comfortable low action. 8) I still can't play the lead part at McGuinn's blazing speed, but I'm getting there. :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Keep at it. I've always admired guys who can wield a flat pick. I feel like I really suck in that department. They should call me "Old Slow Hand." :lol:
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jim,

"I Wasn't Born to Follow" requires some really fast alternate flatpicking. I'm using a thin (.50mm) Dunlop pick, which helps. But right now I can only play it at about half speed. Still sounds great on my acoustic 12-string. 8)

Robert

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”