Ric Storage Temperature and Humidity

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

KonaTom

Re: Ric Storage Temperature and Humidity

Post by KonaTom »

Ahaaa... a'a lava rocks...You're in Hamakua?? Yea, it's wet over there...Hey, that ain't no Ghee tar in your pic...ain't that a C star? I'm in Holualoa and also live at higher elevation (1500'). I've also read on other sites about natural dehumidifiers and that non-scented kitty litter works at removing both smell and moisture. You just want to be sure you don't leave any kitty litter in an open case if you have a cat in the house. :) I've also read that farmers would hang a sack of calcium chloride (not sodium chloride) in their barn to take out moisture. I had a problem with my D35 swelling but it's better now that I'm using humidipacks, but they are an added expense.
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

trosse wrote: ...... A slice of rough potato down the tobacco jar. But guitars..? Maybe a rough baking potato in a properly sized plastic bag with holes?
Maybe drop some "french fries" in the cats eye... that's what there for right! :mrgreen:

Humidity here in Maryland sucks year round .. Got to humidify all winter long & run the AC all summer to to keep the high humidity down.
When not in use, we keep them in their cases. No wall hangers here.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Rubsoul wrote:Humidity here in Maryland sucks year round .. Got to humidify all winter long & run the AC all summer to to keep the high humidity down.
Can't you figure out a way to store the summer humidity are slowly release it during the winter time? :mrgreen:
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Hey Jeff,
Already thought about that! :D
Planned on bottling the winter air in Mayonnaise Jars and letting it out in the summer... doing the same bottling the hot air for Winter for summer use.
My biggest problem is I can't eat that much Mayo!
Maybe I can do an air exchange deal with our Canadian members....
Calling Chris in Maine! :D
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

KonaTom wrote:Ahaaa... a'a lava rocks...You're in Hamakua?? Yea, it's wet over there...Hey, that ain't no Ghee tar in your pic...ain't that a C star? I'm in Holualoa and also live at higher elevation (1500'). I've also read on other sites about natural dehumidifiers and that non-scented kitty litter works at removing both smell and moisture. You just want to be sure you don't leave any kitty litter in an open case if you have a cat in the house. :) I've also read that farmers would hang a sack of calcium chloride (not sodium chloride) in their barn to take out moisture. I had a problem with my D35 swelling but it's better now that I'm using humidipacks, but they are an added expense.
I don't understand; I can not use the kitty litter?
Oh-p! I've said too much.... :oops:

That's a C-tar by the way :lol:
trosse

Post by trosse »

Rubsoul wrote:
trosse wrote: ...... A slice of rough potato down the tobacco jar. But guitars..? Maybe a rough baking potato in a properly sized plastic bag with holes?
Maybe drop some "french fries" in the cats eye... that's what there for right! :mrgreen:

Humidity here in Maryland sucks year round .. Got to humidify all winter long & run the AC all summer to to keep the high humidity down.
When not in use, we keep them in their cases. No wall hangers here.
I think you'll need an original "frying pan" for that operation :lol:
silvergp05

Post by silvergp05 »

Interesting because all guitars are different. For my Gretsch Country Gent and my '60's Vox Bob cat, I keep a moistened sponge inside of a baggy and slip that into the case behind the headstock. It is totally dry after 2 weeks and the Vox splintered like a potato chip from lack of humidity. Funny thing though, the more it splits the better it sounds.....now if I touch the whammy on that Vox, it'll totally implode......I bet Townsend would think that is cool.

I keep the Ric with my strat in my office closet.......where I can smell them as I work.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”