New Toy - Epi Thunderbird IV Pro

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

New Toy - Epi Thunderbird IV Pro

Post by johnallg »

Finally got my Christmas present. An Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro. Tried to buy one locally but after 2 months on order and being told they couldn't order from Gibson, I gave up. Then I saw MF had them $100 off and for St. Paddy's Day 14% more off, so I ordered with a hard Epi case. Quite a bargain.

It is well-made, in China though, and plays and sounds great. Needs a setup (tonight) and it will be ready to rock.
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG
Last edited by johnallg on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: New Toy - Epi Thunderbird IV Pro

Post by sloop_john_b »

Nice!! Looks like a fun one!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Had a short spin on it earlier and still learning the controls. :lol: It's an active bass which is new to me. Love the sounds I can get with it. I played a regular Epi T-bird but it sounded way too much like a Jazz bass. Got one of those.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Oooh, that's a nice one John!

Congrats.

What's the difference from the cheapish model vs the PRO model?

How's the weight?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Thanks Tony! The difference is neck-through, active preamp, better pickups, and a whole lot more tone variations. It is rather light. I haven't weighed it but just having it on my shoulder I can tell it is lighter than a Rick.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

johnallg wrote:Thanks Tony! The difference is neck-through, active preamp, better pickups, and a whole lot more tone variations. It is rather light. I haven't weighed it but just having it on my shoulder I can tell it is lighter than a Rick.
WOW, LOL, BIG difference! So much for the $300.00 version! LOL

REALLY, that light eh? They sure LOOK like they have some weight to 'em. That's pretty cool!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

John is the battery compartment easy to get at? Also can you use a rechargeable with this bass?

Congrats again btw. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Brian, back of the neck in the lower body area.

As for using rechargable 9V batteries, I sure hope so. I have true 9V rechargeable NiMH (9.6V) so I'm thinking yes.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

John, that looks cool. The 5-strings have always tempted me. Construction seems good.

Rechargeables should be okay but because they always discharge a little their lifespan should be much less than a disposable.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

John,

The placement of the battery box looks well thought out. Hopefully you can use a rechargeable battery and get enough out of each charge to last a few days. Enjoy. It looks fabulous.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Nice one, JA. :D
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

johnallg wrote:Thanks Tony! The difference is neck-through, active preamp, better pickups, and a whole lot more tone variations. It is rather light. I haven't weighed it but just having it on my shoulder I can tell it is lighter than a Rick.

Thats interestting what you say about the weight John, I had one of these as well and I sold it because it honestly felt so much heavier that any RICs I have. I also thought the neck was too long.. especially when reaching for the 1st fret. It really felt like a stretch to me...other than that they are a great bass and the sound is as you say very good.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice, John! :D They don't make it in MG, I see. :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Well,semi,anyway :wink: :wink: .....show us the backside of it,John.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:Nice, John! :D They don't make it in MG, I see. :lol:
Actually they do; they call it natural. The battery compartment pic is of the back of a natural finish.

Return to “The Low End”