17%
2. Tru-Arc® Bridge
83%

Total votes: 6

jimk
RRF Consultant

Tru-Arc® vs. Roller Bridge

Post by jimk »

You have your choice between two bridges to replace you stock bridge on a Gretsch which came factory equipped with a Bigsby. Which one would you choose? Please discuss your choice.
JimK
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tru-Arc® vs. Roller Bridge

Post by admin »

I have tried both and the true arc intonated best for me and worked as well with the vibrato as the roller bridge. Then again Duane Eddy I'm not.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I'm still using the stock bridge on my 6119 (bought new in 1996) and I've never felt the need to change. Am I a loser or just lazy (or maybe a lazy loser)?
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
power chord hack

Post by power chord hack »

By "roller bridge" do you mean the Space Control bridge (on the right)?

At any rate a bar bridge is the way to go, and a Tru-Arc is the best of the bars. I have 3 Tru-Arcs. One on a Jet, one on a vintage Annie, and another on a Dano-Gretsch-Tele mashp I built. They do make a very noticeable difference.

There are many very good reviews of the different types of bridges on the Gretsch forum, BTW.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

power chord hack wrote:By "roller bridge" do you mean the Space Control bridge (on the right)?
Yes, that's exactly the one I had in mind.
JimK
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also the space control does not have an arc that conforms to the radius of the fretboard as the "Tru-Arc" does. Jim, I will be very surprised if you don't like the Tru-Arc. I also tried the Compton Compensated Bridge. It did intonate well but was too heavy to my way of thinking and certainly did not look the part. It produced a harsher sound as well, at least to my ears. I think I still have it in my parts drawer if you want to take it for a test drive.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Tru-Arc, without question.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

My `65 Tenny has a Rocking Bar Bridge. I think the Melitta is the worst of the bunch for sustain; I do like the Controller. I removed the Melitta from my Duo Jet and replaced it with a Space Controller so it would have the same sustain as my Silver Jet. I've never tried a TruArc. IIRC, Mike Snow swears by a TruArc for his Gretsch as well.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: Does the space controller bridge that you have allow for height adjustments.

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

admin wrote:Paul: Does the space controller bridge that you have allow for height adjustments.
Yes, the Space Controller bridges on my Gretsches are height adjustable. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Paul. Perhaps it is time to explore this possibility.

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

paologregorio wrote:My `65 Tenny has a Rocking Bar Bridge. I think the Melitta is the worst of the bunch for sustain; I do like the Controller. I removed the Melitta from my Duo Jet and replaced it with a Space Controller so it would have the same sustain as my Silver Jet. I've never tried a TruArc. IIRC, Mike Snow swears by a TruArc for his Gretsch as well.
OOPS!! Actually I have a Compton Compensated bridge, in aluminum, and it's both properly radiused to the fingerboard and the string spacing is right. I think it sounds 10 times better than the buzz-o-matic bridge that came with it. I didn't find any harshness to it, but have heard the stainless sieel ones can be. The aluminum matches the Bigsby and has given the guitar a very noticeable increase in sustain. I really like the way the whole guitar looks with this bridge on it, has a vintage look and intonates perfect. I also notice no squaking, hangin, scratching, or other noise when using the Bigsby.

There are big whoo haws over on the 2 main bridge replacements, the Tru Arc, and the Compton, on the 2 main Gretsch sites, but 1 doesn't really work better than the other according to the endless debates between the 2. It mainly just comes down to materials(both offer a variety of metal for different sounds), and looks-Compton is kinda like a bowtie and the Tru-arc looks like sort of like a lipstick pickup. Both are custom made in the USA, both are string space and radius specific to your measurements(apparantly there are major differences even in the same models so you have to measure it), and both are quality machined items. I'm not sure about the Tru-Arc, but the Compton was cut specifically for my string gauge.

As far as the Space Control goes, the consensus on those forums is to get a Compton or a TA. Just passing that along as I've only briefly played a Gretsch that had one on it.

Last but not least, and what did it for me, the Compton was less than half the price of the Tru-Arc!(well, I didn't really like the TAs look, but that's a preference thing.) I wasn't completely unhappy with my Tune-o-matic style that was on it, but did want to get more sustain. I'm sure glad I did! :D

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”