Does Anyone Prefer Rounded Horns Over Pointy?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Does Anyone Prefer Rounded Horns Over Pointy?

Post by Tommy »

I took two snapshots of my Rics and after looking them over it became obvious to me that the pointy horned 330 is far more stunning visually than the rounded 360.

- Does anyone prefer the rounded look?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Does Anyone Prefer Rounded Horns Over Pointy?

Post by admin »

Tom, I like them both as they remind me of different eras. I especially remember when George Harrison moved to the rounded horn on his 360/12. Also, a perfect excuse to buy two models, a concept which already seems familiar to you. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I prefer the pointed horns. I never did like my 1964 360/12 NS. It played extremely well. I just could not get along with the way it looked. :?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

admin wrote:Also, a perfect excuse to buy two models.
Yeah, Ric got an extra couple of thousand out of me because of the different horns. I'm sure others have succumbed to the different horns temptation, too.
I like the round, but I do think the pointy Ric is a must have in anyone's guitar collection.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Round and pointy are both cool but I definitely prefer straight cable to coiled! :wink:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I like pointy more than rounded...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

cassius987 wrote:I definitely prefer straight cable to coiled!
Come on, there's an incredible sixty feet of cable in those two pictures and it only looks like about four feet! Those coil cables stay short until you want them to be long. That's a nice advantage.

Pointy over rounded
Coil over straight

:wink:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Tommy I used to used coiled cables back in the 60's. The only disadvantage is that mine got noisy over time as the insulation and shielding flexed. I have no idea why. That caused me to change to 25 ft Belden straight cables. I still love the look and versatility of the coiled cables however. So I am on the fence on that question. :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Rounded horns. Straight cable.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Pointy horns.
Straight cables.
"The best things in life aren't things."
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

To-MAY-toe... To-MAH-toe

For some reason.. I've gravitated to the pointy horns.

I like the history of Rickenbacker. Capri.. 325 /( 350 ) .. 330

yes.. VERY early on the rounded horns too became an early part of RIC history.. and continues to this day.. so it's not like the 360 NS isn't a card carrying member of RIC History..

but for some reason..

the pointy horns say "RIC" to me..
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, I thought the idea of coiled cables was great... back before I understood electronics, and was surprised by the difference in sound. Of course, you can (and will) have the same effect with long straight cables.

The thing is, with cables, you have 2 conductors running side by side. This creates a distributed capacitance along the cable. The longer the cable the higher the capacitance. The higher the capacitance, the more high frequency loss you get. Sorry that's physics, it's just how the universe works.

Now coiled cables are always longer than a straight cable. Even when stretched to the maximum length, the coiling will add cable length (and the associated capacitance/high frequency loss). So, while coiled cables are great for allowing a lot more length in a smaller space, you will get some loss of high frequency tone.

The moral? Use high quality cables of the shortest length possible. Even better, go wireless since there's almost no cable at all. Now, if only I could find a stereo wireless setup so I can run Rick-O-Sound.

Oops, sorry for letting my techno-nerd side out...
:oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I prefer deluxe over standard... I like both 360 O.S. and the "new" rounded 360.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

cjj wrote:The longer the cable the higher the capacitance. The higher the capacitance, the more high frequency loss you get. Sorry that's physics,
Is there ever a case where low end frequencies are lost? (I am a treble junkie.)

Speaking of physics, the pointy horns add more "frequencies" to Rics. I think I read that here at this forum. More air in the body of the guitar, pointy horns create a different (AND BETTER!) sound.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Tommy wrote:
cassius987 wrote:I definitely prefer straight cable to coiled!
Come on, there's an incredible sixty feet of cable in those two pictures and it only looks like about four feet!
My point exactly! :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”