What are the guitar nuts made of?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nukebass
Veteran RRF member

What are the guitar nuts made of?

Post by nukebass »

I was thinking all of the black Rickenbacker nuts were bakelite, but the tech fixing my guitar (650) said bakelite would break and it is delrin. It isn't a big deal, but I was just curious since I don't want to be wrong.

The reason this topic even came up is because I couldn't get the fret/neck/whatever buzz out of my 650 and took it to a local shop. I tried everything I knew how to do, thought the neck was flat and all that, but couldn't get rid of the buzz. The tech calls me and is determined the nut is not original because it was, in his opinion, filed incorrectly. He worked on it a bit and determined a couple of the slots were filed too low but couldn't fill them because his filler wouldn't stick to the nut (or something. he used what I think is a fairly derogatory phrase to describe the nut material, but, eh, it's his opinion). He is going to replace it with a bone nut that will, in his words, give it more tone and sustain. I know different opinions abound about nut materials and such so I don't feel like arguing with him about the acceptability of the original material (especially since I don't really have an opinion of my own on the subject). As long as the buzz is gone, I'll be happy!

He also is only charging me the rate for a nut adjustment, which I initially thought was kind of high, but with the replacement, cutting new grooves, and a setup, I'm pretty happy with the price. I'll post some pictures of the new nut when I get the guitar back, hopefully next week.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: What are the guitar nuts made of?

Post by jingle_jangle »

The original was phenolic (of which bakelite is a brand) and has no problem holding up to string pressure, even on a 12 which may have in excess of 300 pounds pull when tuned to pitch.

Solvents of the usual types have no effect on phenolic, nor on acetal resin (delrin is another brand, BTW). However, super glue--which is most often used as a quick fix to raise string slots filed too low--will stick to bakelite provided it is slightly roughened, which Rick nuts are. Maybe somebody replaced the phenolic nut with an acetal one--who knows?

Bone nuts are old school. You may or may not be able to tell the difference in sound. He's just selling you on his preference. At least it's not brass...
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

Thanks for the info!

I bought the guitar originally, sold it to jdog, then bought it back from jdog a year or so later. He didn't say anything about replacing the nut and it looked like the one on it when I sent it to him so I'm pretty confident it is original.

I figured it was just a preference thing with the bone and doesn't bother me or anything. He said it wouldn't be quite as dark as the one on it now, but that is fine as long as it stops buzzing. I'm not even a decent guitar player, but string buzz bugs me.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jingle_jangle wrote:Bone nuts are old school. You may or may not be able to tell the difference in sound. He's just selling you on his preference. At least it's not brass...
So, what's wrong with brass? I know it was all the rage back in the '80s, I even put one on the 4001 I had then. I really couldn't tell the difference...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Nothing wrong with the brass, per se. It's just another overplayed fad, like bell bottoms and platforms. I had one on my SG in the mid Seventies (brass nut, that is). People say they could be a little dark sounding, but I couldn't hear a big difference.
All I wanna do is rock!
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

kiramdear wrote:Nothing wrong with the brass, per se. It's just another overplayed fad, like bell bottoms and platforms. I had one on my SG in the mid Seventies (brass nut, that is). People say they could be a little dark sounding, but I couldn't hear a big difference.
But that extra 0.5 grams of weight provides infinitely better sustain! At least, that's what they told me back in 1980......
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

antipodean wrote:
kiramdear wrote:Nothing wrong with the brass, per se. It's just another overplayed fad, like bell bottoms and platforms. I had one on my SG in the mid Seventies (brass nut, that is). People say they could be a little dark sounding, but I couldn't hear a big difference.
But that extra 0.5 grams of weight provides infinitely better sustain! At least, that's what they told me back in 1980......
Oh, and I'm sure it contributes immensely to neck dive as well...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had a brass nut on my Gretsch 6120 that worked just great. Then again I didn't keep that instrument. Paul may be on to something. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

That's right, Ryan, I never changed it.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

My 6120 came with a brass nut.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

jdogric12 wrote:That's right, Ryan, I never changed it.
I was pretty certain you didn't. I'm just guessing this one was either cut a little off at the factory and I didn't pay much attention when I got it, or maybe some of the strings I put on it after the fact cut into it a little more than they should have. Once this thing gets fixed, it should be sweet!
C'sPop

Post by C'sPop »

"What are the guitar nuts made of?"

Rickenbacker owners, of course... <rimshot>

I'll be here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress.

Sorry, ...it's been a very long week...
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

I got the 650 back yesterday and it seemed okay. I broke a string on it first thing when I got home so I didn't get to really try to play it until today. It sounds to me like it is still buzzing like it did before. I'm going to have to take it back when I get some time and make sure that the buzzing thing isn't just me. I could be a nut myself. :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”