Phrase Samplers/Loopers

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

marc61

Phrase Samplers/Loopers

Post by marc61 »

What do you guys use?

Is there an affordable unit out there that's useful for both recording and live use?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Phrase Samplers/Loopers

Post by sloop_john_b »

I still use the OG Boss RC-20 but I am sure the technology has come a long way since then. I've had the thing for almost 10 years!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'd love to use a looper for live stuff but I rarely play songs that are the same four chords all the way through. If they had a way to make something that could handle verse/chorus/bridge, I'd be happy.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

jdogric12 wrote:I'd love to use a looper for live stuff but I rarely play songs that are the same four chords all the way through. If they had a way to make something that could handle verse/chorus/bridge, I'd be happy.
I'm pretty sure the Boss RC 30 and Digitech Jamman Stereo can. The thing I like about those two is they also have USB capability so, I'm guessing you can create stuff on the computer, download then jam over. My issue is, I'd like to know of somebody that's actually used that capability and it worked for them live.

Pigtronix is supposed to release their "Infinity Looper" this month but, I'm guessing it's going to be in the $500 range.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:I'd love to use a looper for live stuff but I rarely play songs that are the same four chords all the way through. If they had a way to make something that could handle verse/chorus/bridge, I'd be happy.
The Boss RC-50 is pretty amazing, our lead guitarist has used it for whole songs, IIRC.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I believe the RC-50 will take you where you want to go. I've seen solo guitarists play bass, rhythm guitar, lead harmonies, and all kinds of stuff in a 1 man band type deal with the lower end Boss loopers,(not RC2, but I had one and it was great for the little dinking I did with it). I really liked how what I put into it had no volume or quality drop.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

The RC-2 is easy on the budget and sounds great, as Mike said. It's fine if you don't want to get very complicated.
All I wanna do is rock!
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Yeah the RC 50 looks like the deal. Not sure what the difference between that and the RC 300. Problem is both of those are over $500 new.

The RC 2 would be fine, especially because you can find them inexpensive used but, the RC 3 has the USB capabilities that the 2 doesn't. The other thing is I've heard they are difficult to use live (making loops on the fly)

Funny that everyone mentions Boss and only Boss. There must be a reason for that.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Boss products are usually rock solid, bullet proof, and consistant to a flaw. They are the industry standard in footpedals.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I've played with a 50 before, couldn't figure it out and gave up very quickly and easily.

Check this out though... this is someone local; she uses loops to great effect.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MargotMacDonald
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

The lead guitarist in one of my bands recently purchased one of these, Marc:

http://www.strymon.net/timeline/

It cost about $600 over here in Oz but it's an amazing piece of equipment. Well worth checking out IMO.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”