The tale of Hannibal!

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

weemac
Veteran RRF member

The tale of Hannibal!

Post by weemac »

"Hannibal" was created by Jack Spira in the 90s. Jack lived not far from me, and I was after an 8 string.
It has a two piece alder body, twin truss rods, carbon fibre stringer and a six bolt neck joint.
I used Dimarzio DP123 (Model J) pickups at the time, as that was what was available.
Did pleanty of gigs, loads of fun!
The Dimarzios had a fair growl but tended to be one dimentional sounding and it made little difference playing with the controls. The brutish nature of this well dressed bass earned it its name, "Hannibal"

Some years later I wanted to make it sound a bit more pretty, so in went EMGs. I traded one dimension for another and I could never make the EMGs sit nicely in the mix, and the sound did not sit nicely on my spine... However the EMGs were studio quiet so It stayed this way for a few years...

The EMGs eventually annoyed me enough and the Dimarzios went back in with a fresh harness, by this time the bass was getting on to be about 12 years old and was starting to season really well.. However once again the lack of colour was enough for me to give it one last shot..

I wanted a tradational Alnico pickup and with little funds I purchased some Giovanni J pickups (that was Artecs vintage spec line)
I fitted a steel load plate under each pickup (like a Telecaster) as Alnico pickups love a lump of steel to keep them fresh, it also will stretch the magnetic field a bit (like a P90 pickup) and can deepen the tone a little.
While I was in there I shielded everything...

I got more than I bargained for…
Good grief it is loud! It is louder than my Music Man. They are just 7.5-7.8kohm pickups but either the steel plate or something else rendered it with a monster output. But how is the tone?
To be honest it is very colourful with heaps of variation. The neck pickups has a touch of Precision in the low end and has a bit of Rickenbacker toaster in there for good mix. The treble pickup is really useable as well. The blend gives you all sorts of stuff that the other pickups simply wouldn’t
Overall the sound is thick, edgy but with a touch of angelic chime (not the ceramic nasty treble) and the tone control takes the hair out of it without going too dull.
So… Cheap Artec pickups can give you some nice surprises, and are well worth a shot…

Eden.
Last edited by weemac on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: The tale of Hannibal!

Post by jps »

It must be the new knobs, Eden! :lol:

I see Teddy is coveting the bass. Probably a wise move on his part. 8)
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Ah! The knobs... I fitted the rock maple knobs when the dimarzios went back in. They make it sound more.... Rocky and Woody! :mrgreen:

Eden.
Last edited by weemac on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Very cool Eden!!! 8) Hannibal sounded great way back when I saw him - must be a total monster now! How does he compare with the 4008?
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

antipodean wrote:Very cool Eden!!! 8) Hannibal sounded great way back when I saw him - must be a total monster now! How does he compare with the 4008?
A very cruel question. The 4008 is a bit more contained but has a slightly airy top end. Hanibal can now get very close though.... (Hanibal is still more dangerous sounding...)

Eden.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

weemac wrote:
antipodean wrote:Very cool Eden!!! 8) Hannibal sounded great way back when I saw him - must be a total monster now! How does he compare with the 4008?
A very cruel question.

Eden.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Lovely bass,Eden! What manner of bridge is that? It looks somewhat similar to the ones used on 4004's until a few years ago.
I would love to have an 8 string bass again someday. (i had a Viellette-Citron 8 string back in the early 80's)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:What manner of bridge is that?
Not Eden here, but, that is the Schaller 8 string bridge.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

And a good looking bridge it is,too! Thanks,Jeffrey!
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I do like schaller bridges. These eight string ones are easy to adjust and well behaved.
The machines are Gotohs and are slightly slimmer and with a better ratio than the schaller mb4s.

Eden.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Since you asked:

Eden.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hannibal is more aggressive sounding, to me. Brighter growlier. whereas the 4008 is relatively polite sounding by comparison.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Cool video Eden and good playing. To me the difference is largely the same difference heard over and over again between Ric pickup spacing and Jazz Bass pickup spacing... but that's just my two cents! Which tone is better is highly subjective of course but I prefer the Ric most of the time. Since my 4001FL has the mid pickup in the Jazz neck position I can fake it occasionally if I want to.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Thanks Eden! I always love a vid of you playing in any context, let alone with this A/B of two brilliant 8-string basses....

To my ear, the 4008 has a slightly more mellow fundamental string and subtler octave string (i.e. octave string is a tad quieter relative to fundamental). Then again, Hannibal's octave string is so loud that it almost rivals a 12er. Josh is probably right on the money - the bridge pickup placement on Hannibal would definitely contribute to this point of difference. My guess is that there may be other factors at work as well.... wish I knew what they were!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

#1 to that last sentiment,always nice to hear anything you record,Eden!

Return to “The Low End”