rickenbacker strings

Those who flock to The Byrds
bowser2533

rickenbacker strings

Post by bowser2533 »

Does anyone know if Roger Mcguinn is using round or flat wound strings on his 370?
kvalois

Re: rickenbacker strings

Post by kvalois »

I think that he still uses Pyramid flat wound. Go to his web site and click on FAQ :D
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

I talked to the guitar tech at rickenbacker and he said these strings are to heavy and will put too much stress on the neck. the gauges are to heavy. May even void the warranty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

McGuinn does use Pyramids on his Rickenbackers, but from what I've heard, they're not ideal for a Ric.

These are what a lot of folks on this forum, including myself, swear by. It's been said they're closer to vintage Pyramids than contemporary Pyramids
http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... tring.html

Order a set, and you'll never look back 8)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Pyramids are wound by hand by aged German Fraus on what is essentially a 19th Century foot powered sewing machine spindle. There is no uniform consistency to the string diameter, so people who use Pyramids end up with intonation issues. They are also high tension, IIRC.

Buy Rick Strings, or D'Addariaos; they're both precision made on what is essentially the CNC of string winding machines; uniform consistency, and hence easy intonation.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

Think im gonna try a couple sets of the thomastic intveld js 44flat wounds.They come highly recommended.They gauges are a little lighter than the standard ric round wounds. Heard nothing but great things about them. Ill let you all know they work out for me in a week or so. Thank you all for your input.Also if your looking for a great amp for your ric 12 try the new fender deluxe modified. Crystal clear. Just picked one up. Thanks Gary
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

I think the reason McGuinn uses the pyrmid strings on his ric is because he tunes down a half step creating less tension on the neck. Gary
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

Put a set of thomastic invelts on my 360 and what a difference it made. The tone is great the feel and the intonation couldnt be better. I am sold on these strings. Gary
stsang

Post by stsang »

bowser2533 wrote:Put a set of thomastic invelts on my 360 and what a difference it made. The tone is great the feel and the intonation couldnt be better. I am sold on these strings. Gary
Welcome to the TI flats club! :D
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

JakeK wrote:
Order a set, and you'll never look back 8)

+1

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”