Veteran RRF member

Drumming up Vibrations

Post by einar »

I just came across this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=all

A must have for most Searchers fans!

(From Amazo.uk)

Product Description
This is the story of five decades of music both in the studio and on the road by drummer Paul Francis. The book takes you through the highs and lows that Paul has experienced during his long career in the music business. In 1964 Tony Jackson, vocalist and bass guitarist with The Searchers, rocked the pop world by quitting the band and going solo. A large section of this book tells the untold story of Tony Jackson and The Vibrations by his drummer Paul Francis. Paul played on all his solo recordings and toured with him from 1964-1967 including the reunion gigs in the early 90s. They remained friends until Tony's death in 2003. Paul went on to work with many artists including Steve Harley, Maggie Bell, Jack Bruce and Bill Wyman. This book documents Paul's career as a musician from 1962 when at 15 years old he started his professional career backing Rolf Harris on his first UK tour.
About the Author
Paul Francis has been a professional drummer for over fifty years working with a wide range of artists including Rolf Harris, Bill Wyman, Jack Bruce, Jet Harris, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Maggie Bell, Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, Suzi Quatro, Tony Jackson and The Vibrations, Billie Davis, John Paul Jones, Albert Lee, Fuzzy Duck, Tranquility, Tucky Buzzard, Mick Ronson, Chris Spedding, Billie Davis, Dickie Pride, Carl Wayne, Marion Montgomery, Screaming Lord Sutch, Wee Willie Harris, Geno Washington, Craig Douglas, John Walker, Jimmy Justice, Joe Pasquale.
Since 1982 Paul has been running his own drum school, Orchard Percussion Studio, near Colchester, Essex. Paul has written several drum tuition books and DVDs as well as a number of graded drum kit examination pieces for the Trinity Guildhall School of Music. Paul has also released his own CD Pablo.
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Re: Drumming up Vibrations

Post by mdenger »

Sounds great, thanks for the information.

Michael
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Thanks Einar on birthday/christmas list.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Hi again,

I wouldn't hesitate to buy (or read) this book. With me, it arrived (with personal wishes from Paul) a couple of weeks ago. It's a very well told story, by a seemingly very likeable person!

"Drumming up Vibrations" is dedicated to Tony Jackson. Chapter 3 (pp. 43-87) covers the Vibrations' carreer in detail. After their break-up in 1967, 24 years went by without any contact between Paul and Tony. Chapter 11 (159-165) details the years 1990-96 when the two of them reunited personally and in music. Chapter 13 (173-179) deals with Tony's final years, days and hours, when Paul was a major support and close considerate.

It's a very detailed tale. Paul Francis seems also to have been a good archivist, a lot of press cuttings (?) are included. I wouldn't be surprised if most of what was written about TJ&Vibrations are present in this book. Although they never hit the really big time, I's nice to understand they had a fair share of the mania when on tour.

In between the Tony Jackson years, Paul has had a fine carreer as a professional drummer. He's been in notable group efforts, and has also been collaborating regularily with people as Steve Harley and Maggie Bell. -As is also the case with Frank Allen's book, we get a certain amount of name-dropping! But it's fair to say that Paul has the strongest set of cards up his sleeve!

If I miss something: A name index!

Thanks a lot for the book, Paul! You should be proud of it. As I'm sure Tony would have been! Go read!

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”