Jangle Box evolution question

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

RonLovesRic12strings

Post by RonLovesRic12strings »

Has anyone been able to compare the various Jangle Boxes that have been available in recent years? I have a JB-2 and wonder if the improvements on the newest "Byrds' JB" would warrant me making the upgrade?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Jangle Box evolution question

Post by Folkie »

RonLovesRic12strings wrote:Has anyone been able to compare the various Jangle Boxes that have been available in recent years? I have a JB-2 and wonder if the improvements on the newest "Byrds' JB" would warrant me making the upgrade?
Ron,

The only JangleBox I've owned is a JB2, and I understand it's substantially more versatile and easier to use than the original black JB. But the Byrds pedal is basically a JB2 with one additional feature: a tone control for the JangleBoost channel. This does give the pedal some added flexibility, but, because I always use the JangleBoost button as a treble boost for solos, I would never need the extra feature. So, before ordering up a Byrds model, you'll have to decide how much you'll actually use that tone knob.

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Good point, Robert. If it weren't for the facts that the price is outside personal consideration, and I already have both the JB1 and JB2, I would have been asking the same questions.
JimK
RonLovesRic12strings

Post by RonLovesRic12strings »

Thanks for your responses. For now, I'll stick with my JB2.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

jimk wrote:and I already have both the JB1 and JB2,
JimK
Jim, remind us again of your set-up, did you have your two JangleBoxes wired up through the Ric-o-Sound, so you had one pickup through JB1 and the other through your JB2 ? Or were they in sequence ?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

8mileshigher wrote:
jimk wrote:and I already have both the JB1 and JB2,
JimK
Jim, remind us again of your set-up, did you have your two JangleBoxes wired up through the Ric-o-Sound, so you had one pickup through JB1 and the other through your JB2 ? Or were they in sequence ?
The first part of your sentence is correct. I'm running ROS. JB1-->Neck PU-->Vox AC15C1; JB2-->Bridge PU-->MusicMan RD110-Fifty. Need more umph for a solo? Step on the jangle boost switch, for a little more on the bridge PU, and Robert is your mother's brother.
JimK
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Aren't there some differences in power supply connections (polarity of input) as well?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

rkbsound wrote:Aren't there some differences in power supply connections (polarity of input) as well?
Yes, Jeff, the original JangleBox is pin positive, so it needs a special adapter. The JB2 is pin negative, so it can be used with any standard adapter (a One Spot will do).
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

From a performance standpoint, the difference between the JB2 and JB Byrds is fairly simple, but, depending on your viewpoint, pretty significant: the Byrds model has an adjustable J-Boost tone while the original JB2 is a pre-set treble boost.

For those adamant about having the original JangleBox treble boost sound already dialed in, the JB2 is your pedal. For those who want more flexibility, the Byrds model is it. The JB2 Byrds also has a thumbwheel on the circuit that allows you to adjust the amount of treble or bass relative to the J-Boost Tone knob's center detent.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

The fact is, you can't go wrong with any of the Janglebox pedals. It's just a question of your price range and the features you need. If I didn't already have a JB2, I would certainly have ordered up a Byrds pedal as soon as they were available. But the JB2 has more than satisfied my needs in terms of tone, versatility, and ease of use. 8)

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”