AC30 ccx - need to overdrive this baby

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

paologregorio

Re: AC30 ccx - need to overdrive this baby

Post by paologregorio »

paologregorio wrote:I brought my H2 and vintage AC30s in for service yesterday, so the CC2X will be getting a workout until I get them back later this week; I should be able to provide some updated and newly-informed comments/impressions and answers after my next rehearsal Tuesday night.
I used my CC2X last night at rehearsal. The amp has a LOT of gain even in the low power setting. I think you should be able to get the amp to break on the low power setting by adjusting the interaction between the channel and master to achieve the desired effect.

I am going to switch out some of the preamp tubes to reduce gain, because the amplikes to feed back, even in the low power setting, more than I want it to, whether I'm playing my 365 WB with overwound Sergio toasters (14K bridge), or my 360/12 C63. This only happens when I use my overdrive pedals, but I use these all the time with my other AC30s and Twins, with far less of an issue, or none, if I have the amp dialed in properly. :)

Ideally, I probably need a 365 WB without a sound hole, or one that's painted on, a la Gretsch Tenny. haha. Something like that, but that's not going to happen because I'm probably the only one who would buy a rick like that. :lol: :lol:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote:
I used my CC2X last night at rehearsal. The amp has a LOT of gain even in the low power setting.
I am going to switch out some of the preamp tubes to reduce gain, because the amp likes to feed back ...
I recently switched in a 12AU7 in the V2 position on my AC-30 CC2x for less gain and more clean head room.

My Fulltone "Plimsoul" overdrive pedal tends to feedback when the Gain knob is raised too far. Happens with my AC 30, as well as my Mesa Boogie and Fender Deluxe amps. Same feedback happens if the Gain knob is raised too far on my JangleBox pedal too.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Heavy and expensive, but very good, sonically:

http://premierbuildersguild.com/builder ... attenuator

...and a knob to dwarf all others...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I managed to blow one of my Celestion Alnico Blues in my AC30 H2, and have been playing the CC2X for the past 5-6 gigs, and accompanying rehearsals. The CC2X is capapble of some nice clean tones, but overdrives nicely, though I definitely give the amp some help with any number of OD pedals to kick it over the edge. I could accomplish the same with the channel volume up and the Master volume adjusted.

On a side note, while the Celestion Alnico Blues for my H2 are being reconed at Orange County Speaker, I have temporarily installed a pair of Celestion G12Ts (British made, not that I care) in the amp; I find I get all the highs I want, and more bottom; I like the way they sound. I cannot mix and match with Alnicos, because they're 4 ohm speakers and I have to wire them in series to get the required 8 ohms, but I may install them in an extension cabinet in the near future, since recent attempts to sell them have been unsuccessful.

I have no doubt that once OC speaker is done reconing my Blues that they'll last much longer, and probably sound even better than, they did when they came from the factory.

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Hopefully they used the correct H1777 cones to recone them as they do make a difference. Although if you wanted you could also have them use the silver kit (i forget offhand the number) to get the sound of the later 60's vintage silver celestions.

Greg
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

soundmasterg wrote:Hopefully they used the correct H1777 cones to recone them as they do make a difference. Although if you wanted you could also have them use the silver kit (i forget offhand the number) to get the sound of the later 60's vintage silver celestions.

Greg
OC Speaker offers the choice of either the Celestion Kit, or their own materials... which are from the same source, but don't say "Celestion" on them. I go with whatever OC Speaker recommends, because they do a superior job of repairing speakers; once I've had OC Speaker repair a blown speaker I've bought, I never have to worry about it again...except maybe after 25 years; the only speakers I've had to re-cone after OC speaker repaired them, were speakers reconed by OC Speaker....in 1983.

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Well if it sounds the same, then I'm fine with that. I had to recone one of the made in england Celestion Blues from my 1993 AC30 and used a genuine Celestion H1777 kit that another friend got for me in England and shipped over here. Way cheaper than getting the kit here in the US or through a reconing company like OC even with the shipping.

Greg
fireglo330

Post by fireglo330 »

Was looking into power scaling but realized I really didn't want to haul the 70 lbs. to gigs any more....so I bought a AC15 cc1.........earlier break-up .......reasonable volume.......very similar tone......I should have done this years ago.

Of course I will not sell my AC30 :D as it is my first love.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Power scaling only works properly when the amp has a master volume for the overall preamp volume. Usually on most of the vintage amps without master volume, there is a volume control after a gain stage but there will be further gain stages after that in the preamp. As you turn the power scale control down, the preamp gain looks progressively larger to the power amp, so you have to have a way to readjust the preamp's overall volume....aka a master volume. Many of the modern amps do have a master volume, so power scaling can work, though you need somewhere to install the components, including the power scale pot. VVR (a copy of an earlier version of power scaling) is the same way.

I really like power scaling myself...it makes a lot of the louder amps I like useable in smaller venues, and you can still get great sounds that are much more natural than pumping up the preamp gain and turning down the overall volume with a simple master volume. Power scaling can have issues when installing....oscillations that weren't there before, etc., but it is usually easily fixed if you spend a little time with it. If you're paying a tech to do your work, it can get expensive though depending on the amp you put power scaling into.

Greg
fireglo330

Post by fireglo330 »

Thanks for the input from everyone>

Instead of power scaling I went out and bought an AC15 and kept the AC30.

I have a master volume on the ac3o but the sound of pre amp gain is not the same of the power section working.

I had a reputable local tech give me some very similar information regarding overheating and space concerns when scaling and he recommended adding a fan as well as a scaling unit. I may still do the mod but for now I will work with the AC15 which is loud enough (without miking) to keep up the heavy hands of the drummer and the other guitars.

Once again thanks to all for the help
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

fireglo330 wrote: I had a reputable local tech give me some very similar information regarding overheating and space concerns when scaling and he recommended adding a fan as well as a scaling unit.

Is something similar to this, (picture) the type of cooling fan mod your Tech is talking about for the AC 30 CC model ?
Attachments
Amp Cooling Fans E-Bay.jpg
Amp Cooling Fans E-Bay.jpg (6.37 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive in front of it...

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”