Non Ric acoustics

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

collin

Re: Non Ric acoustics

Post by collin »

beatbyrd wrote: Cool guitar. It might be some residual substance from the 60's in my system, but I swear that guitar looks like it's singing......

:lol: :lol:

I never noticed...but you're kinda right (and good call, JPS !). 8)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Collin...that is awesome. :shock:
collin

Post by collin »

sloop_john_b wrote:Collin...that is awesome. :shock:

The guitar or the fact it looks like a cartoon character? :lol:

Thanks dude! I need to replace the binding rot, but it's a great player and these are really underappreciated guitars.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

collin wrote: it's a great player and these are really underappreciated guitars.
Very true. Many of the Gretsch acoustics are under appreciated. Even some of the low end models sound pretty good.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:Book? You're supposed to read a book before starting out on guitar? Oh oh! :lol:
It is great interviews with master songwriters of the likes of Bob Dylan and Paul Simon. They all talk about their inspirations and processes.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I just bought a Taylor this afternoon! a 2001 NOS 512ce with an L. R. Baggs I-Beam system installed in it by the music shop a few years ago.

I need to make some photos of it, but is looks like these but with no preamp on the side of the guitar:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-13928.htm

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-10606.htm
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jps wrote:I just bought a Taylor this afternoon!
My condolences. :)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jps wrote:I just bought a Taylor this afternoon! a 2001 NOS 512ce with an L. R. Baggs I-Beam system installed in it by the music shop a few years ago.

I need to make some photos of it, but is looks like these but with no preamp on the side of the guitar:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-13928.htm

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-10606.htm
Nice one Jeff! I have a very informed source that recommends Taylors. His opinion is that their quality control is excellent and that there is very little variability between individual guitars of a given model, so picking up a dud is highly unlikely. He likes them on a value-for-money basis as well. That said, he actually plays a rather nice handmade item by Sydney luthier Gerard Gilet.

As a hack, I have an ancient K Yairi W 4 (a Martin D28-esque dreadnought) that does the job nicely. Will try to post a pic when I remember where I put the camera..... :oops:
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

K Yairi guitars are really nice, too!

I like the Blue Mountains Guitar that Gilet makes. I wonder if he does a cutaway version, as I do get up there on the neck quite a lot.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sloop_john_b wrote:
jps wrote:I just bought a Taylor this afternoon!
My condolences. :)
I used to think that, too, until I played quite a few. There may be a bit of a strange culture surrounding Taylor but he does know how to make a nice playing guitar, plus I got one that is a bit older and I think a bit wiser (nicer sounding and looking).
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

When I was shopping for an acoustic, I got to A-B every guitar in a room full of Taylors, Martins, and Guilds. Not one of the Taylors had any life or warmth in sound or feel. I bought a Martin, with the Guilds a close second. The one I bought was clearly the best, even outshining the other Martins that cost twice as much.
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I wasn't looking for the be-all-end-all of acoustics when I bought the 512ce, just a nice guitar that I can take to work or a party, or whatever. I already have the best acoustic on the planet in my Larrivée. 8)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Taylors are well built and very consistent in quality, fit and finish. They obviously know the formula to make and sell a good product. But life doesn't come from a formula. I think it comes from the hearts of those who do things by hand in a traditional way. Not very scientific reasoning, I know, but that's the way it adds up for me, finally.
All I wanna do is rock!
collin

Post by collin »

I actually like Taylors..

To me, they are far more playable off-the-rack than most other guitars at your average Guitar Center, and not just the high-end models either.

They tend to have more treble and lack bass, but I typically prefer them for general playing than most others, though I wouldn't record with one.

Th generally lack feel and soul ...but so do most new guitars. That's what vintage is for. :P
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Collin, I think you'll agree with me that once you've been spoiled by a guitar that can really sing, it's hard to come down. Still it's fun to have one that you can bang around with, too. 8)

Also, I've played some newer guitars that had soul as well as some awful vintage instruments. :lol: The search never ends! :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”