Non Ric acoustics

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

fireglo67

Re: Non Ric acoustics

Post by fireglo67 »

sloop_john_b wrote:Wow! More of a brown/honey color then a black sunburst. Looks just like my old '69 Southern Jumbo.

Dream guitar material right there. The "whispering giant".

Its only a few months old, so I haven't heard it yet. Give it a couple of years and I just know that it's going to sound amazing. The sound is big, but tight and precise. Some SJs can sound a little flabby. I don't think this one will.

The Shasta has a huge tone. Just like a grand piano. It's superb for strumming but certainly not one for picking.

The takamine is my workhorse. A lovely big but mellow tone due to the solid mahogany back and sides, and it plays like a dream. You could play that one all night and your fingers wouldn't hurt one bit. The top of the range Taks are hugely under rated guitars IMHO.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

A Gibson J-185, a 70's Ibanez Hummingbird copy (Burgundy!) and a 1939 Dobro.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I've been pretty happy with my Ibanez Talman intercity, decent plugged in sound, not fake like many guitars I've tried. I have a Marin Sigma OO style but the action is ridiculously high so it gets slide duty. I have a bat neck 61 Harmony archtone that I stripped & refinished in natural with a Tiesco pickup at the neck...no volume or tone just the pickup straight to an end jack. I had an accent vibrato on it for some time, insanely mean sounding beast that one. I also have an 1897 bowl back mandolin for when I want to feel like an awkward giant. My dad builds ukes & he made me a koa tenor with a fairly squared off neck so I can play slide.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

This one is a recent arrival. It's a Cole Clark FL2AC Bunya top/Queensland Maple back & sides. Made In Australia.
IMG_0685.small.jpg

IMG_0688.small.jpg

IMG_0686.small.jpg
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
David Watts

Post by David Watts »

My Gibson J45. I have it for 1 year. I really love it ! it's my main guitar at home since i have it.
And here with her sisters :)
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Here's an updated pic of my lefty acoustics. The Seagull S6+ Folk at the far right has found a new home. I gave it to my cousin's daughter after I found out that she was also a lefty. The Huss & Dalton has become my go-to acoustic.
Acoustics2.jpg
Huss & Dalton OM Custom, Gibson J-45 Rosewood, Ric 730S
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

My first guitar was a used sunburst Gibson J-35 that I bought at a folk music shop called Goose Acres for $600. I sold that one seven years ago because it was dinged up and needed a refret. Now I have an Ovation Pinnacle, which may not be a status symbol to own, but which plays and sounds great. However, my main acoustic at the moment is my Alvarez RD2OS12 12-string. I just had one of my techs restring it and tweak the truss rod, and it plays flawlessly and has an incredibly full sound. I participate in a local folk music circle on the third Saturday of every month, and when I detune the Alvarez to dropped D for the Byrds' version of "Bells of Rhymney" I get "oohs" and "ahs" from everyone about the spacious sound. I use a very light string set and prefer the action as low as possible without buzz. I'm still primarily an electric blues and folk-rock player, but the Alvarez has a special place in my collection. 8)
T28

Post by T28 »

A couple of Collings, a couple of Martins,a Bourgeois and a few Adamas.
Mostly Om's but a few dread sized.
Also a mandolin and a mandocello.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”