Bass DI

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

marc61

Bass DI

Post by marc61 »

I know there was a thread about this somewhere but, I can't find it.

I'm thinking of getting a nice bass DI and not bringing a rig to gigs.

Sansamp? Which one? Any other recommendations?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Bass DI

Post by jps »

What kind of features are you looking for? Simple, passive, or active? EQ, how many bands? Distortion? Ability to plug more than one instrument in at the same time? Pedal? Rackmount (I happen to have a very nice one for sale, at the moment :wink: )?
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Sorry not looking for rackmount :( . Looking for something I can easily carry in a gig bag.

Of importance is that it would be nice to switch from my electric bass to my EUB without going nuts.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

marc61 wrote:Of importance is that it would be nice to switch from my electric bass to my EUB without going nuts.
This helps narrow things down considerably. I have read great things about the Radial Bassbone, as one strong contender. The input impedance is a bit low for the upright's pickup unless you already have a buffer preamp for it, which I think you do, as I recall a thread about you're looking for one.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

That's so funny. I was just reading about that exact one.

Hopefully I can find a local store that has it so I can try it out
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

marc61 wrote:That's so funny. I was just reading about that exact one.
Here is a recent photo of me:
Guru .jpg
:mrgreen:
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Radial's JDV Mk3 is another one to check out. You can change the input impedance from 10 kohms to 4 Mohms so it can handle anything you can throw at it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I just plug into a Boss NS2 and CS3 and hand the cable to the soundman! Seems to work! The gate and compression make it sound pretty good actually.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jdogric12 wrote:I just plug into a Boss NS2 and CS3 and hand the cable to the soundman! Seems to work! The gate and compression make it sound pretty good actually.
I have pulled this approach off with the Aphex Punch Factory before, a couple of times.

The main reason to bring a full rig to a gig these days, for me, is either because I trust it the most to monitor my sound on the stage (which is ironic considering >95% of bass cabs are fairly "colored"), for the extra control over my sound, or because I know the sound guy will want to mic it with my direct signal. I meet a lot of sound guys that want the cab sound over the direct, and having recorded enough, I think I know why. Finally and most importantly if I'm playing a new venue I don't want to risk working with a sound guy that "checks out" after he gets basic levels and leaves the bass sounding neutered all night.* But if it weren't for these considerations there'd be very few gigs I wouldn't just take a good DI to.

*I have never understood why sound guys do this to any decent band. Bars always seem to sell way more drinks when the sound is thick with kick and bass... You'd think management would require them to boost 100 Hz beyond reason because of this.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some tone for convenience. Bringing a bass and the EUB is enough. Especially in NYC. Westchester most places have no soundsystem so I have no choice.

That said, I'm actually satisfied with the DI in the Markbass head. If I can avoid lugging that around I'd be a happy camper
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

Using an electric bass and a EUB, I kinda went thru this route also. You do need an A/B switch on the DI unless both of your instruments have volume controls on them. I like using the A/B switch route as you can get your volume level set and then each instrument is either on or muted. Radial has the bass bone, or the PZ-Pre made for piezo (high mega-ohm) input (I used this for awhile). You could upgrade your Fishman bass preamp to the pro-eq-platinum-bass-preamp/eq/di and run a simple A/B switch before it. I currently use the Basswitch IQ DI. Gollihur music has a good selection of EUB preamps for you to read thru. Good luck.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I'm very happy with the tone I get through the basic Fishman preamp I have now for the EUB. I guess the next step is to see which ones music stores around me actually carry. It would probably make sense to go into NYC as they probably sell better there
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

marc61 wrote:I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some tone for convenience. Bringing a bass and the EUB is enough. Especially in NYC. Westchester most places have no soundsystem so I have no choice.

That said, I'm actually satisfied with the DI in the Markbass head. If I can avoid lugging that around I'd be a happy camper
Can your head run without an impedance load? If so there's your DI.
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

According to the Markbass site:

Can I use my Markbass amp without connecting to a speaker cabinet?

Yes, any Markbass amp can be used as a preamp only. We recommend that when doing so, you turn off the master volume (not essential, but it's better for the amp). The gain control and/or the Line Out level control will regulate the output from the amp.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I've done that....using the head as a DI but, I'd prefer not to lug it. I want something that's gonna fit in my gig bag

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”