Current tour picture

The genius of Chris Squire
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Current tour picture

Post by just_bassics »

PS. Yes, David, Chris runs in stereo. And there was NO lack of Ric tone last night! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cute photo of Xi! 8)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

She's growing up too fast!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I was eagerly waiting for your report, Jim. And I am very pleased to hear it was stunningly good. I am not surprised at all...the reviews have been coming in extremely positive. It is clear the boys have passion and the right vocalist for these times. I am extremely excited to see them in August!
>>>How well did the Howe/Squire vocals blend with Jon?

And what a sweet thing to see things through the eyes of a child. Good on ya!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Vocal blend was about as good as I've heard, although Benoit David had good blend with them as well. But Jon Davison's solo parts are, honestly, just much better. I'm sad to have to say that because I personally liked Benoit, he was always very nice to us, but Davison nails it. Last verse of HOTS is the true test and he scored an A+ to my ears. Others may disagree, and they are entitled to their opinion. I don't have perfect pitch, but I do have a very sharp sense of relative pitch and my ears are painfully sensitive to flat or off keys vocals, even to a few cents - I cringe, but there were no cringe points last night.

The performance of HOTS last night may have been the best I've ever heard, at least since 1979. Sorry, guess I'm giving away one track here...

I REALLY hope this guy sticks around. All indications are that he will.

More Kennywood fun... (ignore incorrect dates)
Attachments
DSCF0067.JPG
DSCF0079.JPG
DSCF0073.JPG
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Wow! That really tells me something! And I agree, that last verse of HOTS is mucho deficil! Si?

Now, how am I supposed to remain calm for the next 3 weeks until it is my turn to see them?!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Okay, last two Xi pics, but I can't help it, she's just so darn cute!

With my newest kitty, Benny and new (to me) '79 4001S.... (gotta love the morning hairdo!)
Attachments
Xilan July 2012 014.jpg
Xilan July 2012 017.jpg
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Those two shots are officially "adorable!" Gotta love the pic of her and your '79!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Billsbro wrote:Wow! That really tells me something! And I agree, that last verse of HOTS is mucho deficil! Si?

Now, how am I supposed to remain calm for the next 3 weeks until it is my turn to see them?!
Yer just gonna have to sweat it out, Steve - Or fly east for another show!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I'd love to! They played in Morristown, NJ on my B-day and I really wanted to go! (Plus, my wife is from that area...I also saw a few shows there back in the late 70's.)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Good to hear the band is kickin! And that is a really nice burst/color on your 4001S. Do you still have the cream colored CS tribute bass?
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Still got it, Woody. It must look authentic, Xi pointed to it and said "Is that my Daddy's?" :D

The FG burst on this '79 is, IMO, perfect, exactly how I like it. With Dean Markley Blue Steels it has the 70's "Wings" tone. My custom "4001XOVS" tone is very aggresive by comparison. Hi Beams and the HS, I guess...
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Xilan's question is hilarious. Sounds like a fitting confirmation of the work on your tribute bass. So,is your '79 a set-neck too? (IIRC,your CS bass is set-neck?)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Yep, set neck on the '79. I have two neck-through models as well (4003 & V63) but the set neck models just feel better to me, very smooth action and great tone. Of course, the other two are great basses. It's probably more the neck profile on the early S basses that makes me prefer them, although all of them are comfortable. Being primarily a guitarist, I tend to prefer smaller necks / lower action on a bass.

As for the tone of the CS Tribute, which is my 82 4001S, not sure why it is so aggressive, but it really has the Squire tone. Maybe I just got lucky with the combination of that bass, the vintage pickups and string type. Ask anyone who heard it at Kevin Teed's house last year, it just growls! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Xi with the 4001S is amazing, really! 8) Has Chris & Scotty seen it, yet?

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”