Hots or scats?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Hots or scats?

Post by kiramdear »

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... ine%3Dtrue

Would this guitar have hot toasters or scatterwounds? I was told that they are hots but they don't sound like hots to me. What say ye experts?
All I wanna do is rock!
360girl

Re: Hots or scats?

Post by 360girl »

Gee, I don't know - I'd have to hear it. I do remember sombody commenting a couple of years ago, that the Hot Toasters are supposed to have slot screws, instead of phillips heads for the pickup covers and height adjustment screws. If you have access to a multimeter, and can check out the DC resistance of each pickup's coils, that'll tell you. Scatterwounds, like most toasters depending upon when they were made, have a DC resistance of 5 to 7.5 kilo-ohms. Hot Toasters will have a DC resistance that's more like a Hi-Gain's - about 11 to 12 kilo-ohms.

I've also heard that the Hot Toasters kind of sound like brighter versions of the Hi-Gains (which are my preferred Ric pickup).
Last edited by 360girl on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I'm electronically challenged and was hoping one of our experts would know just by the date of manufacture. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
collin

Post by collin »

360girl wrote:Gee, I don't know - I'd have to hear it. I do remember sombody commenting a couple of years ago, that the Hot Toasters are supposed to have slot screws, instead of phillips heads for the pickup covers and height adjustment screws.

Swap that....Hot toasters typically have Phillips screws at all four corners while scatterwounds have slotted screws.

Multimeter is the best way to find out, though.

I prefer scatterwounds for 12-strings (they sound more like vintage toasters) while hot toasters are better on 6-strings.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Stock it would have had hot toasters. No scatterwounds until 1999/2000.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thank you, John! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
360girl

Post by 360girl »

collin wrote:
360girl wrote:Gee, I don't know - I'd have to hear it. I do remember sombody commenting a couple of years ago, that the Hot Toasters are supposed to have slot screws, instead of phillips heads for the pickup covers and height adjustment screws.

Swap that....Hot toasters typically have Phillips screws at all four corners while scatterwounds have slotted screws.

Multimeter is the best way to find out, though.

I prefer scatterwounds for 12-strings (they sound more like vintage toasters) while hot toasters are better on 6-strings.
Thanks for the correction! That's what I get for trying to remember something from 2 years ago or so! :mrgreen:
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

360girl wrote: ...the Hot Toasters are supposed to have slot screws, instead of phillips heads for the pickup covers ...
Just the opposite. Phillips head screws holding the pickup together for hot toasters and slotted for scatter wounds. This looks to be built right around the time they were switching over. As I recall it was '99 or '00. The 325 in question has Phillips head screws so I would assume hot.
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”