Compressor and jangle help for my 360

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jakeboy

Post by jakeboy »

I have a Ric 360 again! And the neck is heavenly for blues and rock!

Anyway, for some of my originals I want maximum jangle....most of my NMV amps are designed for classic OD...but my Marshall Bluesbreaker has a beautiful bell-like clean tone with Emi Red Fangs. My 360 is a 6 string with Hi Gains or the time being. I am a simple cable into the amp, turn it up and ontrol things from the guitar type of player.....that is just me.
I only use a wah occasionally and no other pedals...none.

Do I need a compressor to nail the jangle tones? If so, what settings? I have never owned one and I have played since 1978.

I have a line on a vintage Ibanez Cp10...is this a decent compressor or should I spring for the Janglebox?

I have the OD tones nailed but the jangle clean one eludes me a bit. Believe it or not, I can get it on a tweed Deluxe by scooping the mids with the interactive controls.

Anyway, any help on achieving max jangle with a 360/6 in appreciated.i have lots of amps.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: Compressor and jangle help for my 360

Post by beatbyrd »

I think you're going to be hearing the word "JangleBox" a lot in the responses. Go to their website to hear sound clips and judge for yourself. I have a JB2 and think it's great. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Jakeboy, try the Search function out ... run "Janglebox" through the Search and see how many threads and posting come up.
:)
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

jakeboy wrote: I have a line on a vintage Ibanez Cp10...is this a decent compressor or should I spring for the Janglebox?

I have the OD tones nailed but the jangle clean one eludes me a bit. Believe it or not, I can get it on a tweed Deluxe by scooping the mids with the interactive controls.

Anyway, any help on achieving max jangle with a 360/6 in appreciated.i have lots of amps.
If you're going for an Ibanez Compressor, I recommend picking up a CP-9. After 30 nearly years Dave Gilmour is still using one, while Peter Buck and Marty Willson-Piper from The Church both still use the rack version. As pedals, they're relatively affordable and don't take up too much space on the pedal board. I use mine with a 365 through mid-60's AC-30's and Deluxe Reverbs and it sounds great clean or as a way to beef up solos.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Mike,
I am using the Janglebox with my 325 with vintage and with modern style toasters and it sounds great !
But the Higains should achieve a similar sound with the Janglebox.

Greetings

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

beatbyrd wrote:I think you're going to be hearing the word "JangleBox" a lot in the responses. Go to their website to hear sound clips and judge for yourself. I have a JB2 and think it's great. Tom
I'm in the JangleBox camp. My JB2 works wonders with my 330/12 and 360/12, but also with my six-strings. I used it today with my Strat, and the results were impressive. It does even more with a Tele. Quite simply, my JB2 trumps all the other compressors I've tried, even other premium boutique models like Keeleys. 8)
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Yet another fan of the JangleBox!
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I run the Keeley 4 control compressor, and have great success with it. i also have a rack mounted Ibanez compressor that I utile when playing through my Rivera TBR1M, and have good success with it as well.
If you understand how to tweak your amp for tonality, I beleieve any decent compressor will work acceptbly...
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Since you're not a pedal guy, messing with a compressor might not be your bag. For me, the tone and control I lose with a compressor just isn't worth the jangle. So, here are some things I've learned over the years that may help. Of course, most of them are probably things you already know. Thinner picks tend to bring out more jangle, as does heavier strings. Using more open chords with arpeggios (and letting the open strings ring) can add depth to the chime. I've also found cranking my amp's (Fender Blues Deluxe) presence knob and cutting the mids seems to helps bring out more jangle.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Clint wrote:Since you're not a pedal guy, messing with a compressor might not be your bag. For me, the tone and control I lose with a compressor just isn't worth the jangle. So, here are some things I've learned over the years that may help. Of course, most of them are probably things you already know. Thinner picks tend to bring out more jangle, as does heavier strings. Using more open chords with arpeggios (and letting the open strings ring) can add depth to the chime. I've also found cranking my amp's (Fender Blues Deluxe) presence knob and cutting the mids seems to helps bring out more jangle.
+ 1

I agree with everything you said, except that I do use a JangleBox compressor when playing my guitar through my solid state Fender Princeton Chorus amp. When using my Vox AC15, I run the guitar directly into the Top Boost channel and adjust the controls until I get the right sound.
jakeboy

Post by jakeboy »

Indeed I am not a pedal guy....I do have a JB Silver on the way that will be dedicated to my Ric.
I'll advise and no doubt ask for help when it arrives!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Mark,

I think you made absolutely the right decision in investing in a premium compressor for your Ric 360. Feel free to ask us any questions when the pedal arrives!

Robert
jakeboy

Post by jakeboy »

Thanks Folkie! Illnlet y'all know how it goes.....
jakeboy

Post by jakeboy »

Ok....I amLOVING what the Jbox does for both my Ric and my tele! Makes cleans just jump out of the amp.....jangle city.

I get it now... Playing around with this compressor, I can "hear" tones from various albums that I didn't previously realize we're compressed. I gigged the pedal last night with my tele and it just shined! GREAT with slide as well. I will use it with my 360 on my band's new CD.....it will be the secret to clean tones.....I like it!

Mark
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Great to admit you to the JangeBox club, Mark! 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”