Country Gentleman or tennnesee rose ??

The history and music of the Fab Four
Medicus1963

Country Gentleman or tennnesee rose ??

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get either a Country gentleman or a Tennesse rose guitar, each from about 2005. Which one of these would you prefer for playing Beatles Songs from ca. 1962 to 1965. Any help needed for this hard decision !

Thanks

peter
All you need is love and a rick !
admin
Site Admin

Re: Country Gentleman or tennnesee rose ??

Post by admin »

Peter I would go with the Tennessee Rose as it has a unique thinner sound with the Hilotron pickups that cannot be replicated closely by other makes.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
360girl

Post by 360girl »

It all depends. How much of a Beatleshead are you? Do you feel the need to be period correct instrument-wise? If so, then you'll need to get the guitar that George used during a specific musical era of the Beatles. If it's the early period Beatles (up through say 1963), you'll need to play a Dynasonic equipped Duo-Jet. During the 1964 British Invasion Era, it would have to be a Country Gent. For Revolver Era Beatles, a 6119 Tenny Rose. Also, realize that all of these guitars sound different, when compared to each other. The smaller semi-solid body, and Dynasonics of the Duo Jet, give it this sort of Telecaster on steriods tone. The Country Gent, is bit more of a country twang machine (it was Chet Atkins' axe of choice). As for the 6119 Tenny Rose - realize that it comes with either Filtertrons, or HiLoTrons. The Tenny George played had HiLoTrons. I've played HiLoTron equipped Gretsches, and they are warm sounding guitars (moreso than my dyna equipped Gretsch Country Club), clean or distorted, but they are very low output pickups (some of the lowest output pickups made). So, if you're looking to get a Tenny with HiLos (in the case of a new one, a G6119-1962), and want to get the (compared to previous Beatles music) more aggressive tones George got on the "Revolver" album, you will need to be using some kind of a boost or dirt pedal to do so, or cranking up to the max like he did. HiLos don't have enough output to easily bring on the amp crunch. All 3 guitars mentioned above are cool IMO. If you buy new instead of vintage, the cheapest of the three would probably be the G6119-1962.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Tahnk you all for your opinions,
the Tenny has got the Hilotrons i forgot to say!
Yes I know to be correct I need a duojet, a gent and a tenny....But money, money money?
Maybe you all know, That i have a triplet of 325 made to Lennon specs of three different periods, this ate nearly all of my budget, so I have to decide !!!!!

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I say the Tennessee Rose as I find I can get an decent sound for the Dynasonic or Filtertron period easier on other instruments than I can emulate the Hilotron days. Three guitars is best but then there is a budget to consider. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

I've got a TR from about '05 and it plays & sounds great! Ideally I would have prefered a Dou Jet, but all I saw at the time were the Electromatics w/ humbuckers. I never really liked the Gent, it always sounded kind of "plinky" to me, especially on the BBC recordings. In most live clips of the Beatles it was pretty well buried in the mix, whereas the Tenny stood out a lot more. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Return to “Beatles' Forum”