Am I insane?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cassius987

Am I insane?

Post by cassius987 »

Here is an idea for a rig setup I'd really like to try for an acid jazz/trip hop/deep house project I'm getting involved in very soon. This is loop-based music with lots of layering (think anything from Mark Farina to Massive Attack, but no DJs--yet). My goal is that my rig be nimble and effective, but I feel like ultimately it could be more hassle than it looks on paper. This has been my "dream gig" for a few years so I really want to do this right.

Instrument -> TC Electronic BG250 -> XLR out or mic with pre to Boss RC-30 -> PA
Vocal mic -> Mic pre/effects -> mic input to Boss RC-30's second channel -> PA

This would be more hillbilly, but I could possibly use the same mic for vocals and capturing the amp sounds going to an RC-3 instead of an RC-30. The RC-3 is also stereo so I guess it would be possible to capture one thing at a time with it using two mics. Obviously for a rig this particular I'd supply the mics, etc., and not rely on a given venue to take care of me. The RC-3 doesn't have a mic in like the RC-30 but if I used a mic pre it probably won't matter. And as for the BG250, I'm pretty convinced it's the rig combo for the job, but if for some reason I need a bigger sound I have my fEARful 15/6.

If I need to slash this whole concept and start from the ground up, please be honest. I need to hear it now before I blow money on gear!
cassius987

Re: Am I insane?

Post by cassius987 »

Hm, I guess I am insane, no takers!!

For anyone who has read and is quietly following, after a lot more homework I am thinking I would be better off with Digitech JamMan Stereo, instead of the RC-30. I will run the left channel as my instrument and the right as my vocal mic. The vocal mic will be highly secondary to the looper function until I can get some decent vocal effects on board as well; getting a good mic pre with some effects will also probably be crucial because the looper can only run the mic to one side of the stereo if it goes into one of the high-Z inputs by 1/4'' TS cable, so I'd prefer if it got buffered a little first.

While the BG250 is a GREAT amp that I thoroughly endorse, it probably won't be of any help to acquire for this project. Using the Tone Print capabilities with a looper would be a real nightmare to pull off. Plus, the Tone Print is not as quick on the draw to change effects compared to dedicated multi-effect boxes, so where time is of the essence it could hold me back.

Return to “The Low End”