Shell Pink 12 String Stratocaster!

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Shell Pink 12 String Stratocaster!

Post by Ivan3000 »

Just a little cross-post, I want to share this with as many people as possible!

Please check out the build thread and pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=407125
Completed 12 string 6.jpg
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Shell Pink 12 String Stratocaster!

Post by Folkie »

Ivan,

That's one snazzy looking 12-er, although I've played several Fender Strat XII's, and in my opinion they don't even come close to Rics in terms of jangle quotient. Even the regular Fender XII (which has a hocky stick neck, and which is the model Mitch Easter lent to Peter Buck on the early R.E.M. records) sounds a lot better than the Strat XII I played. I guess I've been spoiled by Rics. Interesting post, though.

Robert
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Folkie wrote:Ivan,

That's one snazzy looking 12-er, although I've played several Fender Strat XII's, and in my opinion they don't even come close to Rics in terms of jangle quotient. Even the regular Fender XII (which has a hocky stick neck, and which is the model Mitch Easter lent to Peter Buck on the early R.E.M. records) sounds a lot better than the Strat XII I played. I guess I've been spoiled by Rics. Interesting post, though.

Robert
Thank you!
Please check out the thread mentioned above to see the build!

The lack of jangle is due to the reverse stringing on the Fender 12. I'm probably going to have a custom nut made for it eventually so it can be set up like a Rick.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Sounds like a good plan, Ivan, although I still doubt that it will sound like a Ric, as there are so many factors other than string order that come into play. I've posted on your other thread, too. Good luck with the nut replacement. :D
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Folkie wrote:Sounds like a good plan, Ivan, although I still doubt that it will sound like a Ric, as there are so many factors other than string order that come into play. I've posted on your other thread, too.
this
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Several factors come into play which differ from a Strat that contribute to making a Rick sound like a Rick. Pickup placement, the harmonics that happen between the bridge and the tailpiece, body construction, and yes the reverse-octave spacing among others. I wouldn't set it up in reverse expecting to make it more like a Rickenbacker because you'll be dissapointed. 12-string strats have a unique sound all their own.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Grey wrote:Several factors come into play which differ from a Strat that contribute to making a Rick sound like a Rick. Pickup placement, the harmonics that happen between the bridge and the tailpiece, body construction, and yes the reverse-octave spacing among others. I wouldn't set it up in reverse expecting to make it more like a Rickenbacker because you'll be dissapointed. 12-string strats have a unique sound all their own.
I know it won't sound like a Rick, but I just feel it should be this way. When I played my first 12 string guitar, I just looked at it and thought, Why are the octaves first? It never seemed right to me. It would just make sense that the lower string comes first. This was before I even heard of Rickenbacker, the research and info I know about Rickenbackers, their sound and who played them, just further cements the thought I had.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”