RIC Bass case fix

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

RIC Bass case fix

Post by Kopfjaeger »

I seem to be full of "stupid" questions tonight. i recently purchased a used older model RIC case. It's black tolex with a form fit blue interior. You know, the type that cradles the body of our favorite basses and holds them so secure. i realize that RIC did not manufacture them but this case, I have another like it, is most definitely made to house a Rickenbacker bass.
refurb2.jpg
Well any way, one of the hinges was loose and it's missing two of the blind rivet type fasteners. I'd like to snug up the hinge but short of drilling through to the inside and putting a long screw with a washer and a nut, I'm out of ideas. I was thinking of a pop rivet and washer inside but it would have to be nearly an inch long and I can't seem to find any 1/8 inch by 1 inch pop rivets.

I filled the nicks in the tolex with liquid electrical tape and I used contact adhesive on the tears. it is a great solid case but I'm stumped on the hinge thing.

Any suggestions??

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: RIC Bass case fix

Post by Ivan3000 »

This is obviously a temporary solution, but since there are two holes, use them to your advantage.
Put a ziptie in one hole and out the other one. Then tighten it really well. That should temporarily hold it tight while you find a more permanent fix.
Hope that helps!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

You could take the case to a luggage repair shop and they would use the proper rivets to secure the latch for you.
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

...however you should be rather worried about the bending of your case top!!! :roll:
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Everyone, thanks for the advice. Right now the case is not in use but it is the type the cradles the instrument body so I think it's worth fixing, correctly. I do have a guy that fixes my boots and he also repairs luggage. I'll run it past him to see what he says. I kinda wanted to repair it myself because I'm just that way. Perhaps if he points me to the proper fastener, I will be able to make the repair myself. I pulled the decals off of it and repaired the little tears in the case so right now it is looking super. The hinge just needs some help.
refurb1.jpg
Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

These guys sell most of the parts you might need. You can probably get the proper rivets from them.
http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?
They're pretty good for hard to find fasteners.
Fastenal is also a good place....
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

I'll check my rivet selection when I get home......I seem to recall having some quite long 1/8" or 3/16". I'll get back to ya.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This is a very riveting thread, guys! :mrgreen:
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

jps wrote:This is a very riveting thread, guys! :mrgreen:

Oh come! We're not octogenarian ladies talking about
Daryll Van Horne!
"Errrivitted!!!!"
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

I didn't forget to check for the rivets last night....I just slipped into a coma as soon as I got home. Long, rough day at work. I'll check tonight for sure. Sorry.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

incubus2432 wrote:I didn't forget to check for the rivets last night....I just slipped into a coma as soon as I got home. Long, rough day at work. I'll check tonight for sure. Sorry.
I can imagine work will be even longer and tougher today!
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Jeff,
You are just6 a ray or sunshine today! :lol: Brian, not to worry bro. I'm not using the case nor is it "holding me up" in any way. I think a couple 3/16 rivets will work as long as it is an inch long. 1/8 inch is closer to the diameter of the original fastener but there does not seem to be any inch long 1/8 rivets.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

Why do they need to be so long BTW? The hinge and case can't be much more than 3/8" or so thick I'm guessing. Since the pop rivet won't look exactly right (I assume you are going mainly for function) I'd probably just go with the right size stainless screw with a drop of loctite and a nut followed by some grinding and call it a day.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Brian,

A blind rivet may work but I really can't tell the condition of the wood where the other rivet once was. The split style rivets fell out so the wood may be compromised in the hinge area. The hinge base is .250 thick and the case material is approx. .5 inch. That gives me 1/4 if I need to install a washer before I use the pop rivet and attempt to sandwich the hinge to the case. In all seriousness, 3/4 of an inch will most likely be too small if I need to pass through the case and hinge.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”