Fretless Hofner bass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

Fretless Hofner bass

Post by jps »

Too bad this short demo was not done by a real bassist! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

winston
Membership Admin

Re: Fretless Hofner bass

Post by winston »

"Crafted in 2008. It is an incredible, finely crafted semi-acoustic bass and it has some amazing tonal qualities. This video is from a test taping for a demo for this instrument. A better performance video will replace this one soon. The audio has some noise, and it is not from the Phil Jones Suitcase amp, but a problem with the input on the camera. This video was posted for specific viewers."

No Kidding!
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I've always like the look of the natural maple Beatle basses. I would think that would make a great sounding fretless bass,too. Btw,when i tried to run the video,it said it had been discontinued by the poster.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The embedding was disabled, you have to watch it on youtube.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

jps wrote:Too bad this short demo was not done by a real bassist! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
I believe I know what you mean. There are true bass players and then there are tweedly dee'ers that fart around on a bass guitar. :lol:
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

My '64 Höfner Senator bass has an incredible acoustic quality unlike any other electric bass I have tried. Recently I have entertained the thought of getting another "project" (i.e., <$500) Senator off eBay, and then to have the fretboard replaced with an ebony blank plank, the pickup removed (no cutout in the top, just a small hole for the wires) and a piezo installed in the bridge. TI JF344's, needless to say.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That sounds :mrgreen: like a great project, Ilan. 8) The bigger body of the Senator is definitely a plus for that tone.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

I think that what makes the real difference from a 500/1 "violin" or 500/2 "Club" are the f-holes.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
abluesky

Post by abluesky »

I have to admit that my Hofner 500/1 73' Fretless has an amazing tone, esp through the phil jones amp (similar to the one in the vid).

Thanks for sharing.
FG, MG and JGs

Return to “The Low End”