RE-C58 one off! Help!

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8577edgar

Re: RE-C58 one off! Help!

Post by 8577edgar »

Hey guys I checked under the truss rod cover and it only has one truss rod, its not a double truss rod like some of the other models.The neck is a little chunky almost like a u shape not round. I took it to a friends house and compared it to his fathers c58 in jetglo. The ramp is different :( and the pickguard screws are placed further out on mine, the bridge is different too his has the roller bridge.The wood on the fret board is the same shade but it has a unique "flame like" quality that shows up more with the lacquer. However they sound Very similar, his dad said that the guitar has authentic ric toasters and parts, he said maybe its possible it could be a prototype made of parts pre-c58 production. He compared the truss rod cover to his and it checked out same size,thickness, and shade of gold. I just don't understand how anyone would be able to grab a hold of an actual c58 truss rod cover or replicate one exactly like the factory :? and I know that toasters are pretty pricey I cant understand why or how someone would go out of their way and build a fake spending a lot of money in all the parts. I'd imagine it would cost about the same or more to build one. My friends dad said that it really plays like a rick, said the the craftsmanship is there a real quality instrument its hard to believe that someone would have built it from scratch. :? I love the guitar I've even recorded some stuff with it already over the weekend. It sounds great out of my custom 68' Fender bantam. I just cant stand not knowing whether it is an actual rick or not. I never even knew that c58 copies existed, I've seen and heard of the greco and fernandes etc. from the 70's and 80's but as far as i know these weren't built based off the capri models right? arghhhhhh THE PAIN!!! :x
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I think this is either a real Rick, or a custom build by a good luthier. It's too nice to be an Asian copy. The wiring harness looks to have CTS pots and Sprague caps like RIC would have used, and the ground and hot wire to the output jack are wound together like a true vintage Rick.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Post a pic on RIC's FB page. They might recognise it?
8577edgar

Post by 8577edgar »

I sure hope so! This is my first Rick or at least I hope for it to be my first. I wish I had known all these little things to watch out for when I got it. I traded my beloved 68' coronado wildwood I for it. The only reason I traded was because a 325 capri model is my dream guitar and I heard that The luthier who designed the Coronado for fender was the maker of the capri series for rickenbacker.....I didn't even think twice about it. Once I played it and loved the way it felt in my hands I made the deal, now Im not even sure if I should have gone through with it.
8577edgar

Post by 8577edgar »

I think I will that sounds like a good idea! thanks :)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

My first thought was that it was one of the NT models, as Kevin describes...the 3rd of the burst 325s, with 3 pickups and no F hole. But I had a close look at my BB 325/12 (NT#10) and there are a number of details that don't wash. All of the NT specials had a different ramp, the elongated jackplate and identical headstocks, for starters. This could be a prototype, though, and not an NT. Interesting. 2004 is way too late for it to be a C58 prototype, though. I say, "pro modded C58" might be its category.

Kinda like this one. It's a reworked C58 that I call a "C57"...

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

8577edgar wrote:I sure hope so! This is my first Rick or at least I hope for it to be my first. I wish I had known all these little things to watch out for when I got it. I traded my beloved 68' coronado wildwood I for it. The only reason I traded was because a 325 capri model is my dream guitar and I heard that The luthier who designed the Coronado for fender was the maker of the capri series for rickenbacker.....I didn't even think twice about it. Once I played it and loved the way it felt in my hands I made the deal, now Im not even sure if I should have gone through with it.
Hey man, if you like it, it really doesn't matter, as long as it plays and sounds great! :P
Melma

Post by Melma »

While it's never nice to be the recipient of something that isn't entirely what it was advertised as being when you got it ... to be honest, I wouldn't be too unhappy about this one. If it sounds good and looks the part, then that's something.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

It's not genuine. It's a luthier one-off.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Amen.
:cry:
8577edgar

Post by 8577edgar »

Melma wrote:While it's never nice to be the recipient of something that isn't entirely what it was advertised as being when you got it ... to be honest, I wouldn't be too unhappy about this one. If it sounds good and looks the part, then that's something.
I'm a little bummed about it not being "authentic" but I kind of don't care lol everyone loves it including A C58 owner who played and compared to his own. I've already modded it, cut out the middle pickup and started recording with it. I guess it makes my guitar a one of a kind :) it plays and sounds like a dream. After a few jam and recording sessions I'm actually happy that its a Luthier one off, the choice of wood for the fretboard is amazing I get a lot of compliments and the fact that someone would strive to build something so accurate with correct parts,hardware,quality wood,amazing finish, and an overall amazing playing and feeling guitar just makes me feel very fortunate. I wish i could meet the person who built this guitar..... :) I now have my very own custom Hand made guitar, and speaking as an active striving musician trying to eventually leave his little foot mark in the history of music I couldn't ask for anything more. this guitar is ME and I've decided to make it My #1 guitar for everything, this guitar will be handed down to my future Grandchildren for sure :D
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

You seem to be a person that always tries to make the best of a situation. Kudos for that!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Making the best of a situation is always a good thing. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it to some extent. Never the less, the luthier who built it showed a lack of creativity in stealing copyrighted designs from RIC. Putting a Rickenbacker truss rod cover on it shows intent to defraud on top of that. I'm thinking the TRC should come off since that's not what it is, and after all you don't care what anyone else thinks. Of course then everyone else who sees it , including your future grandchildren, would know it was a fake too, and that pride of ownership might fade.
8577edgar

Post by 8577edgar »

aceonbass wrote:Making the best of a situation is always a good thing. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it to some extent. Never the less, the luthier who built it showed a lack of creativity in stealing copyrighted designs from RIC. Putting a Rickenbacker truss rod cover on it shows intent to defraud on top of that. I'm thinking the TRC should come off since that's not what it is, and after all you don't care what anyone else thinks. Of course then everyone else who sees it , including your future grandchildren, would know it was a fake too, and that pride of ownership might fade.
Well I acquired my guitar in a trade for a 68' Fender coronado wildwood and some spare gear no money went in on it :), Wasn't until weeks later that I found out that its not a Montezuma brown one off like I was told from the previous owner. It was practically in mint condition no wear or signs of use unlike the guitar and equipment i traded for it. Who ever the luthier is that made it was able to get a hold of all the genuine parts and whether it is or is not what it is meant to be, the fact remains that it is a quality instrument that was built for use (and believe me it will!). Hmmmm I'm thinking the TRC will stay, I'm not willing to go through the trouble of having a blank custom one made to the exact size, thickness, and shade of gold, to please anyone. After all I don't care what anyone else thinks right? 8) I'll let the music I make speak for itself with this beautiful instrument. That's what its being used for anyway, not to be on display and shown off to collectors. Also The pride of ownership I have for this guitar is that it is a finely crafted one, and it should be enjoyed by others and make them as happy as it makes me to play it. To each his own right? :)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

8577edgar wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Making the best of a situation is always a good thing. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it to some extent. Never the less, the luthier who built it showed a lack of creativity in stealing copyrighted designs from RIC. Putting a Rickenbacker truss rod cover on it shows intent to defraud on top of that. I'm thinking the TRC should come off since that's not what it is, and after all you don't care what anyone else thinks. Of course then everyone else who sees it , including your future grandchildren, would know it was a fake too, and that pride of ownership might fade.
Well I acquired my guitar in a trade for a 68' Fender coronado wildwood and some spare gear no money went in on it :), Wasn't until weeks later that I found out that its not a Montezuma brown one off like I was told from the previous owner. It was practically in mint condition no wear or signs of use unlike the guitar and equipment i traded for it. Who ever the luthier is that made it was able to get a hold of all the genuine parts and whether it is or is not what it is meant to be, the fact remains that it is a quality instrument that was built for use (and believe me it will!). Hmmmm I'm thinking the TRC will stay, I'm not willing to go through the trouble of having a blank custom one made to the exact size, thickness, and shade of gold, to please anyone. After all I don't care what anyone else thinks right? 8) I'll let the music I make speak for itself with this beautiful instrument. That's what its being used for anyway, not to be on display and shown off to collectors. Also The pride of ownership I have for this guitar is that it is a finely crafted one, and it should be enjoyed by others and make them as happy as it makes me to play it. To each his own right? :)
Good for you man! Own it!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”