Distortion Pedal Suggestions

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Distortion Pedal Suggestions

Post by Kopfjaeger »

OK, I need some recommendations for a possible distortion pedal purchase. Currently I'm playing in a band that does a wide range of Rock and metal songs. I find myself in need of a bit of grit for some Metallica covers. I have a Way Huge Swollen Pickle fuzz effect but it's not quite right for this application. I like to play somewhat clean, normally, but like I said, I need a tone change for a handful of songs. I'd rather not screw too much with my amp between songs.

I'm a bit of a pedal nube but I'm not against trying something a bit "advanced". It has to accept both AC and DC, since I have a pedal board and a Voodoo power source.

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Re: Distortion Pedal Suggestions

Post by bitzerguy »

Blackstone Appliance. Two channels, MOSFET overdrives. http://blackstoneappliances.com/
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

That looks like a quality product, but it appears to be designed for use with a guitar rather than a bass. One of the main issues with using distortion pedals with bass is a loss of low end. The writeup for the Blackstone does not specifically address use with basses, so it's unclear as to whether the pedal, which is not inexpensive, would result in an end result that the OP is looking for.

This is encouraging, however: "It's glassy at low settings, becoming fat and midrangey when cranked. This is the opposite behavior of most pedals, which get thinner and fizzier at high settings."
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

This is a MOSFET based "amp" with adjustable Mid pot (internally adjustable mini pot) that can be adjusted to work quite well with a bass. It is not a basic transistor clipping device, like most pedals. These will compress the tone far more and generally are bised more towards higher frequencies, thus the loss of lows. The Blackstone operates more like the pre-amp section of a tube amp. It has worked very well with my bass players Dingwall Combustion.

I believe Jon Blackstone can suggest the correct cap (the BA has replaceable tone caps) to use for bass. I would speak to him first. The pedal is not inexpensive, so I would discuss it with Jon first. It is worth looking at, and they occasionally come up on the bay or CL for a good price.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

There is a used one on the bay right now. Priced at what a new distortion pedal selsl for so I need to make sure it is right for what I need it for. I'll contact the manufacturer and ask him his opinion of its use for a bass. I do like the MOSFET aspect of it. I know I can dial a nice amount of good old fashion tube distortion with my Orange AD200b head but since I only need that for a few songs, a pedal would be so much easier.

Like I previously said, I play a rather clean sound and the only color I use is a bit of compression via my Aphex Punch Factory. The clean tone sounds bare in a few songs. I never thought I'd actually admit to that, but it's true.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

distortion for bass, that was made for guitar but won't drop your low end: Big Muff Pi! Dude in Ben Folds Five used one for that band's unique sound.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Jdog, I have to go back and listen to some Ben Folds 5 t0 hear what sound he gets. I have a Way Huge Swollen Pickle (wow, that sounds really screwed up :D ). As a synthy type fuzz it works great but dialing up crunchy metal type distortion, I'm not finding the tone I seek from it.

I'm far from tech savvy, just ask the numerous computer keyboards I've busted over my knee and towers I've cracked with my fist out of frustration. :x

I've sent the manufacturer of the Blackstone device a few questions as to what I'm looking for. We'll see what he says about his product and how I need it to work.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Sepp, if you have any interest in a Bass Big Muff I have one for sale. I'll even deliver and throw in a free Metallica bass lesson. :)
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

John,

Very generous of you. I'll mull your offer over, even though I'm fairly confident that your true purpose is to come over just to noodle with my 4002 and TVY 4004!! :lol: But I'm OK with that!!

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow

Return to “The Low End”