Need Tab For Solo: "She Don't Care About Time"

Those who flock to The Byrds
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Need Tab For Solo: "She Don't Care About Time"

Post by drumbob »

In January, Burgundy Watch is going to learn "She Don't Care About Time," one of my favorite Byrds tunes, and a real challenge for me as a guitarist. I have to pull off the "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring" solo on my Rick 12. This is going to be a serious challenge for me. It would help if I had a tab. I can play the first several bars, but after that, I'm lost.

Does anyone know if there's a guitar tab for the solo in the correct key?

Also, my other guitarist charts everything out for the band and he has charted this tune. In the verses, I hear the guitar going from a G to F# to Em, G and D, but he claims the F# is just the bass, not the guitar. I'm not sure if that's correct. Can anyone enlighten me?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Need Tab For Solo: "She Don't Care About Time"

Post by jimk »

He is correct about the bass hitting the F# while the guitars are playing D. The Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring quote begins on the open D pair of strings. Be sure to listen to Roger's phrasing to get it exactly. Or if you can find a copy of the Byrds Collective's recording, that's just as good. This will get you started, anyway. It's all done with a flat pick.

Now the signature riff is another matter all together 8)
JimK
Attachments
She Don't Care About Time
She Don't Care About Time
She Don't Care About Time.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

Bob if you need a copy of our version, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Pat - The Byrds Collective
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Bob,

That solo is pretty easy to learn by ear (without even knowing the piece it was meant to emulate). Because it's flatpicked in an alternate picking style, it won't take you long to master. I agree with everything else JimK has to say about the arrangement. "She Don't Care about Time" is one of the forgotten gems in the Byrds catalog, and you'll find it worth your time to learn it. 8)

Robert
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I just played the solo to "She Don't Care About Time" on my Alvarez acoustic 12, and I realized there was an error in my previous post. :oops: I do not play the passage with alternate upstrokes and downstrokes. Instead I find it easiest to play with all downstrokes. Sorry about the confusion. I don't think it will take you long to get it down.

Robert
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

pehayes2 wrote:Bob if you need a copy of our version, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Pat - The Byrds Collective

Pat...By all means, please send me a copy: bcianci@tellurian.net. Thank you, and thanks to all you guys for the good responses. I'm actually starting to get it already. This has always been one of my favorite classic Byrds tunes, and nobody plays it live, at least around here. I'm going to preface it by saying, "Here's a really deep album cut."
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

Bob if you need a copy of our version, I'd be happy to email it to you.
Pat, Could you please email it to me at idealasswets@aol.com ? I would really appreciate it. I do most all of my Byrds on a Guild F512- mostly solo, and it sounds quite nice for it. It intrigues me that this song has been developed to play it without the harmonica in it, which makes for a great song using just the 12 string on all of it.

Thank you,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

Sure thing Craig and Bob. I'll get it out to you today.

EDIT Craig - yours keeps bouncing back. Do you have a file size limit?
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Hi, all:

McGuinn had different solos on different versions of the song. Which one is the one that is highlighted above I like the one without the harmonica
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

EDIT Craig - yours keeps bouncing back. Do you have a file size limit?
I spelled it wrong, its idealassets@aol.com I have a new computer with wireless keyboard. There is a particular distance you have to keep or it doesn't transmit correctly!

Thanks again,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”