The bandwagon just got a bit heavier.

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cassius987

The bandwagon just got a bit heavier.

Post by cassius987 »

http://bassstringsonline.com/DAddario-X ... _1347.html

Interesting. I think it was around 2-3 years ago the first (of several) times I e-mailed them griping about having to buy singles... I'm sure that means I can singlehandedly take credit for this product launch. I hope they aren't expecting all the orders to come from me! :lol:

Seriously, if you haven't tried balanced tension yet, here's your most easy and affordable chance to do so.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: The bandwagon just got a bit heavier.

Post by cjj »

Cool!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
T28

Post by T28 »

Looks like an exact match (lites) with Fodera strings. Wonder if they are subbing them out.

I may snatch up a set to give them a try.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

T28 wrote:Looks like an exact match (lites) with Fodera strings. Wonder if they are subbing them out.

No doubt these are just the normal Nickel XLs that have been available as singles for years, just repackaged. I even put my own sets together on that website with very similar gauges under the Customer String Sets.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

T28 wrote:Looks like an exact match (lites) with Fodera strings. Wonder if they are subbing them out.

I have a Victor Wooten Signature set of Fodera strings that will go on one of the Rick eventually; they are .040-.055-.075-.095.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

They need to get some consistency going on that website. The gauge designations on the packages do not correspond with the gauge designations next to the radio buttons. The numbers agree, but the "light," "medium," etc. do not.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Jason has gone with the (IMO) simpler light/medium/heavy instead of "super light", "regular light" and medium. It's all relative.
T28

Post by T28 »

jps wrote:I have a Victor Wooten Signature set of Fodera strings that will go on one of the Rick eventually; they are .040-.055-.075-.095.
I have a set of those (obviously) on my Fodera YYS and absolutely love them. I have a spare for the originals go.
I picked up a couple of the ones that Joshua listed and I will put one set on my Bongo and I think the other set on my C64S.

I never really thought I would like the lighter gauges until I played a set on the YYS and I could tell virtually no difference in the tone or how the lows sounded over a traditional sized set.
I plan to put a lighter set on my 5 string over the holidays because the 136 B string feels like telephone cable to me now.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Are there sets exclusive to Bass Strings online.com? I don't see them on the D'Addario site.
Funny how they go in 3 different set from Medium Gauge to Super Light Gauge. There's no Heavy Gauge. Why don't they call the sets Heavy Gauge to Light Gauge? :?
The Regular Light Gauge seems to be the set most players would choose. They could just call it the Standard Gauge. I think this new balanced Regular Light Gauge will become my future roundwound 4 string set choice.
T28 wrote:t on my 5 string over the holidays because the 136 B string feels like telephone cable to me now.
I like .130 B strings, never tried a heavier one.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Now if only they'd do the same with the Chromes set!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Indeed! In the meantime, if you want a balanced flats set, the Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 is what I use. Great growl. Great consistency, both string-to-string and up the neck. Can get as mellow as you need. Lasts "forever." Best value-for-money out there.

I started buying "balanced" singles (before that term was even a term) for bass strings when GHS started offering singles about twenty years ago. First, I had to custom order them. Then I could simply order singles (at effectively double the cost of a set of strings, of course), and I have used GHS Progressives in 45-60-80-105 exclusively on my 4002 ever since. To everyone who would listen, I would tell the benefits of having more balanced tension. Now, thankfully, CircleK, Fender, and now D'Addario have balanced sets. It's time for GHS to get on the bandwagon.

I also started purchasing .018w Boomers special ordered about thirty years ago, before light gauge wound 3rd guitar sets became available. Finally, a few years ago, GHS put an .018w in their 10's Boomer set, and D'Addario has a .021w in their 11-49 XL set.

I feel fortunate to have lived to see the day that string companies finally got into the 21st Century and the 14th B'ak'tun!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

FYI this site is run by one of the other Jason Mendelson musicians I've gotten to know over the years, the bassist in LA, who attended the RIC jam in August 2012. Super nice guy, and I know lots of people who have all had great experiences shopping on his site. He does it all himself AFAIK so you can't expect something quite as slick as big box store websites, but I'm sure he'd be very helpful if you have questions and get you straightened out one way or the other to your satisfaction!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Return to “The Low End”