Putting Glen's Loom in a non C58 RIC

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

remstar

Putting Glen's Loom in a non C58 RIC

Post by remstar »

Has anyone ever done this?

I know its possible, but am looking for opinions before doing it myself.

thanks
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Putting Glen's Loom in a non C58 RIC

Post by deaconblues »

I'm not sure why you'd want to specifically put this harness into another guitar.

If the goal is to make another guitar sound like a 325, the '58 harness isn't really going to help much.

If the goal is just to change the switching options, I would ask what sounds you are looking for. There are many ways to customize the controls.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did this with my 350. Glen designed a loom that allowed for all seven pickup combinations. It works very nicely. I picked up a couple of tones not available with the standard RIC wiring not the least of which was the neck and bridge pickup together. A must in my view. In any case, Glen does great work and used high quality components. I am very glad I made the decision to go ahead with it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Thanks for the kind words Peter. It's very true the the loom, whilst originally intended to compliment the 325c58, is just as effective in any 3 pickup model - full or small scale. It's also unobtrusive, and more intuitive to use than other methods, such as rewiring the mixer control as a middle pickup control. There are also various ways to customise the wiring to suit the particular guitar and owner. I recall Peter's 350 was customised to suit.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Paul,
Which guitar do you want to modify ? It is right the loom makes only sense for a three pickup guitar !
I am the owner of two of these wonderful looms and am very happy, complete new guitar and very versatile !
The loom in my mapleglo guitar identified a broken pickup, because in the standard wiring the neck and middle are wired together and i did not recognize before, the neck pickup was broken.
So it is also a broken pickup detector :D

Peter

p.s.: i am not payed by Glen for these words :wink: , i really think the loom is a great piece of guitar work !!
All you need is love and a rick !

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”