Martin MMV Acoustics

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

marc61

Martin MMV Acoustics

Post by marc61 »

My friend stumbled upon these while shopping for a 000-28 acoustic. He enjoyed the MMV 000 and his thought was that at a grand less than the 000-28, yeah it's not as fancy but, then he could afford two.

Has anyone here owned one of these? or had experience with them?

He's thinking of getting the 000 and the Custom 0-12VS but wants to make sure he's not missing anything as far as truly inferior quality and sound just to save a few bucks
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Martin MMV Acoustics

Post by jps »

Where did your friend come across one?
marc61

Post by marc61 »

GC in Austin

and the slotted headstock model was actually 0012VS. Seems like there are slight differences between the online versions and the GC store only models. I think it's the fretboard as the online models say they are ebony, and the in stores are some type of composite.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The fingerboards are definitely not ebony, that is reserved for the 18 and higher series instruments. If your friend can only afford something in that price range there are probably better choices than Martin. :wink:
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Actually, the MMV models are all 100% wood. The fingerboard is definitely ebony
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I guess it depends on one's definition of ebony. I understand that the MMV was a special run for Musician's Friend, IIRC, they were/are not a standard model in Martin's line-up. Over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum I keep reading (relatively) great things about some of the 15 Series of Martins for a reasonable priced one, especially the 00-15M and 000-15M(SM) models. Buying used one can find some great deals; I almost bought a D-18GE from a guy locally for $1800, and given what the Martin 000 Custom ordered model I have would have sold for new I got a bargain, I think.

Is your friend an accomplished player looking for a really nice guitar or a nice guitar for the money? I assume it is the former given he was looking at buying a 000-28.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

jps wrote:I guess it depends on one's definition of ebony. I understand that the MMV was a special run for Musician's Friend, IIRC, they were/are not a standard model in Martin's line-up. Over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum I keep reading (relatively) great things about some of the 15 Series of Martins for a reasonable priced one, especially the 00-15M and 000-15M(SM) models. Buying used one can find some great deals; I almost bought a D-18GE from a guy locally for $1800, and given what the Martin 000 Custom ordered model I have would have sold for new I got a bargain, I think.

Is your friend an accomplished player looking for a really nice guitar or a nice guitar for the money? I assume it is the former given he was looking at buying a 000-28.

Top notch player. He picked up the 000 the other day and loves it. Seems like that one was a GC special but, the slotted headstock one (which I think is gorgeous) is model 0-12VS MMV and I believe carried online many places. It's not that cheap at almost 2K
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Did he buy it?
marc61

Post by marc61 »

jps wrote:Did he buy it?
Deposit placed :)

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”