My new guitar is Shaggadelic!

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

octagon

Re: My new guitar is Shaggadelic!

Post by octagon »

DriftSpace wrote:Thanks, Mitch; there's lots of really great information in that post!
I'm definitely adding an Avalon to my guitar radar...

Don't you want a matching bass?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-A ... 1c2f3ff333
Haha cool

Avalon made a 2 pickup version too

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

So, is that where Ibanez got the idea for the Antoria Black Eagle?
octagon

Post by octagon »

Interesting....

ImageImage
octagon

Post by octagon »

I went to my friends store yesterday and they had the hollowbody on the wall.

octagon

Post by octagon »

sloop_john_b wrote:YES!!

I'm gonna be hanging out with Dot on Sunday!

Mitch, honestly, how junky is it? I really love the way these things look.
Wow...did you go to Dot's show at the Bell House in Brooklyn last Sunday?

DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

That video is so funny; when Dot looks back at the drummer during the opening "solo" I imagine her thinking:

"Someone obviously did not do their homework before the show."

Then the guitar player tries to cue the drummer ... :lol:
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

Hmm, do I sense a Shaggs cover band looming in the future?

And an insolvable Shaggs' philosophical question: Who are parents? :wink:
octagon

Post by octagon »

Here is something amazing that a friend on another forum told me:

"So I've been emailing with my friend Chris, who had one of these Avalons in the 70's. And it appears that it WAS, in fact, one of the guitars on the album cover!
(Chris and I have known each other since grade school. We were in our first band together and my last band. He still plays with a re-formed version of The Jabbers, GG Allin's old band. He joined GG's band when I went to college and our high school band broke up.)

I remember Larry at Ted's [Ted Herbert's, where Ernie Hatzis, mentioned on the album cover taught guitar] (remember that **** Larry?…actually, most of the people at Ted's were ***** except for Ted) telling me that the Avalon I was buying belonged to a local girl band and that they had had two of them, but sold one. He never mentioned the name, nor would it have even registered.

When I had my time with Dot Wiggin, I told her the story and sure enough, they had sold them to Ted's! She asked me if I still had it as she wanted to see it. I didn't have the heart to tell her i sold it to a kid named [name omitted] for like $75 so I could buy a Tele. I posted that story on BGC a few years ago and a bunch of guys freaked. Truth is, if it were not for Zappa praising them, and then NRBQ reissuing their album, no one would know or care. The poor ladies worked in one of my clients warehouse as pickers! the music truly IS unlistenable.

I mentioned the connection between Ted's and Ernie (who I also took lessons from there) and he replied

oh, i have been convinced for decades it was one of their guitars. they traded them in the same year i buy one… and this was prior to zappa and nrbq latching onto them.

and ****, that is right, i remember the ernie hatzas connection. again, i never would have known and it was not until the 80's and working at Strawberries and learning about the band that i started to make the possible connection.

I asked him "Hey, didn't we (our late 90's/early 2000's band, Rat Fink) almost do something with them at the time you met them?

yes, we talked about doing my pal foot foot but due to some pending movie agreement (i think with NRBQ backing) they could not commit to perform or appear on anything (i forget if it was dot or betty who i was corresponding with, but she was afraid of the lawyers). as far as i know, the movie folded. that is probably one song [name omitted] could have played on drums w/o too many missed beats (or noticed f'ups as they would have sounded purposeful).

So there ya go. It would seem that Chris' first electric was one of the Avalons from that album cover. "
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

that's hot
octagon

Post by octagon »

Maybe my guitar is Dot Wiggins's :lol: Or it could be Betty's. :lol:

Do you think I could get the PBS History Detectives to investigate? :lol: :lol:

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”