Expensive items that fall below expectations.

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Grey
Advanced Member

Expensive items that fall below expectations.

Post by Grey »

Before anyone asks, i'm not talking about Rickenbackers. :D

I recently bought a very expensive ergonomic chair for my home office, it's supposed to provide better posture, increase productivity, etc. Before, when I needed a new chair I went to Staples, found one that looked good enough, and grabbed a cheap leather executive chair, but suddenly i've turned into some kind of chair snob (I work from home so in my defense being comfortable sitting on my butt is important) and have been looking at high-end office furniture. I bought one of those said chairs based on a brief, but positive experience I had with one and after actaully using it, i'm preparing to return it.

Right now i've gone back to sitting in my cheap, simple leather chair, which is falling apart and I do need to replace but still manages to be more comfortable through the scientific power of foam than my very expensive special chair, which is sitting in the corner looking nice and expensive but not doing much else while I decide what to do.

Really I just want to make myself feel better but i'd genuinely like to hear any stories about simple products punching out the upper class.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Expensive items that fall below expectations.

Post by jps »

There is lots of discussion on Gearslutz about chairs for all those audio engineers and mixers who spend countless hours in front of a mixing console. Go do a search over there for good information.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I work at home too, and recently decided to replace my office seat which was killing my back. I did some online shopping and ended up looking at Aeron chairs at Costco. To my surprise they were not tolerable to sit in even for a brief test, which i found totally unacceptable given the price and rep they have. I bought a mesh chair there for 1/4 the price of the Aeron, have been using it for 2 monthes and it's perfect for me.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Well where will i start.Ok the wife first :lol:
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I used a Herman Miller Aeron chair for years at work and found it to be the best. You need to keep in mind to buy the Aeron with all the features which will run over $1100. The ones sold at discount, like Costco and such, are de-contented and lack many features. Also these chairs come in three sizes. You need to try all three to see which fits. The only downside I found to the Aeron is that its Kevlar fabric wears out clothing as evidenced with the lint that collects on it.
"The best things in life aren't things."
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

You know,i kept that in mind,but still thought that at nearly $400,the "discount" Aeron chair should offer basic support (it didn't) and comfort.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

When I saw them at Costco they didn't have the (adjustable) lumbar support piece installed. Without that piece they are totally uncomfortable. The arms of the chair were not adjustable where as the complete model the will adjust three ways as I recall. They also didn't have the suspenion system. I do know that some people at work had the large chair and it was not comfortable for me. The small was just too small (at that time), and the medium fit like a glove. Costco is great for many items but you would be better off buying this from a Herman Miller store and getting the right one for you.
"The best things in life aren't things."
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, what he said. I work from home and have a "complete" Aeron chair, from Herman Miller. I used one just like it for something like 15 years when I used to work in the office, and it's great!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I have the "fully loaded" Aeron and i'll likely be returning it Monday. It's a great chair, to be sure, but a bit outdated. Other, modern high-end office chairs in that price bracket feature adjustable seat depth, back height, and a number of other options to perfectly accomodate a wide variety of users. This chair just isn't for me, unless you sit in it perfectly the rock hard edges of the chair bordering the mesh dig into your body. The "waterfall edge" seems like a huge design oversight, IMO. But maybe i'm not the type of person this chair was intended for, i'm at home, I don't want to feel like im in a suit and tie at the office with perfect posture. There are other ergonomic chairs (including Herman Millers own Embody chair) that encourage good posture while still allowing freedom of movement.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be some Gibson bashing :lol:

I work from home, have had an Aeron chair for 10 years. I love it for desk work. Just need to use lith grease in the wheel sockets to stop the squeaking.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Just an update, I returned the Aeron and instead went with the Herman Miller Embody. Couldn't be happier.

I really should have just titled this thread "I hate my fu%&*$# chair!" but I didn't want to make it obvious that I only wanted to whine about something.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Ooh! That looks like quite a chair! I may have to check one of those out for when my Aeron dies...
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

cjj wrote:when my Aeron dies
See you in 10 years. :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Grey wrote:
It's already nearly 17 years old and getting a bit... um... tired...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cjj wrote:
Grey wrote:
It's already nearly 17 years old and getting a bit... um... tired...
So, you have a good excuse to go out and get that Herman Miller Embalmed chair! You'll feel so good sitting in it that you'll never leave it. :twisted:

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”