Bass Cabinets

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Bass Cabinets

Post by rickenbrother »

Just curious, what bass cabinets are you guys using for gigs and band rehearsals?
I usually use my Genz Benz NEO-X 212T. A very good sounding cab, but but I'm missing the sound of 10 inch speakers.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
woodyng

Re: Bass Cabinets

Post by woodyng »

My markbass cmd121p combo does both practice and bar gigs just fine. Occasionally i add a 2nd 1-12 Avatar cabinet. I like 12's these days,but i've used 2-15",,1-15 w/ 2-10's in the past. I have a minimark,but mostly use it to listen to Pandora throo my ipad.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Try 8" drivers, Don at Low Down Sound has quite a reputation for making some killer 2-8 and 4-8 cabinets.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I'm using a Schroeder mini 12 both as an extension cab for my GK 200MB combo and as the sole cab for my AC 50. I'm blown away be the big sound that I get from such a tiny cab....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:Try 8" drivers, Don at Low Down Sound has quite a reputation for making some killer 2-8 and 4-8 cabinets.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that my favorite cabinet is the SWR Henry 8x8. I just don't feel like having to pickup that cab at the end of a night. I'd like to try the Markbass NY 4x8, but no GC near me has one in stock.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

rickenbrother wrote:
jps wrote:Try 8" drivers, Don at Low Down Sound has quite a reputation for making some killer 2-8 and 4-8 cabinets.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that my favorite cabinet is the SWR Henry 8x8. I just don't feel like having to pickup that cab at the end of a night. I'd like to try the Markbass NY 4x8, but no GC near me has one in stock.
yeah, but you can buy it sight unseen and when it gets in try it to see if you like it. :lol: :lol: What a business plan..... :roll:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Been using a Markbass Traveler 2x10 and a Standard 151 (1x15) for three years, but I'm selling the big 1x15 to get a smaller one - hopefully the Randy Jackson signature model, which I tried the other day and loved.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that my favorite cabinet is the SWR Henry 8x8. I just don't feel like having to pickup that cab at the end of a night. I'd like to try the Markbass NY 4x8, but no GC near me has one in stock.
Don can make you some very lightweight cabinets, it is amazing how much speaker technology has advanced since the days of Steve Rabe, as nice as his stuff was/is.

I did get to try two NYC804 cabinets, at NAMM 2010. Given the environment I was pretty impressed, but i did not crank it or play for too long as Jeff Berlin was getting ready to play then. The cabinets can be seen in this photo.
Jeff-Berlin-1200_8433.jpg
Oh yeah, you asked what cabs we are currently using; I still use my two LDS cabs, and plan to for the foreseeable future, I might even ask Don to make a single 12 cabinet sometime.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Joey....I use a pair of GK NEO 2x10's. They sounded fine with the stock 16 Ohm Paragon speakers, but since I wanted them to be able to pull more power from my rig, I swapped them out for 8 Ohm Emminence DeltaLites. I think they're discontinued, but you can probably find some in stock or even used somewhere.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

I have been very happy with my Avatar B410 Neo for the last year. Light, sharp sounding, boomy as I need when I need it.
T28

Post by T28 »

I interchangeably use either a GLASSTONE LIL'G or my fEARful 12/6/1 stack.

The Lil"G is my current favorite because it is small and compact, weighs about #28 and has 2-12" Faital Pro Neos running at 4 ohms.
It also has an OEM horn/tweeter with a adjustable 5K crossover which can really tweak the highs if you want to slap or have a brighter sound.

Either give me a huge sound in relatively small lightweight cabs.

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

aceonbass wrote:Joey....I use a pair of GK NEO 2x10's. They sounded fine with the stock 16 Ohm Paragon speakers, but since I wanted them to be able to pull more power from my rig, I swapped them out for 8 Ohm Emminence DeltaLites. I think they're discontinued, but you can probably find some in stock or even used somewhere.
I've been more interested in the GK MB combos and cabs since production was moved back to the US, I just wish they would list the full specs of their speaker cabs.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

rickenbrother wrote:I've been more interested in the GK MB combos and cabs since production was moved back to the US, I just wish they would list the full specs of their speaker cabs.
My first NEO 2x10 was made here, while the second may have been made in China. The Emminence speakers I loaded them with were made here though. Each one of these cabs will take 500 watts without breaking a sweat, and they're modular in that they can be stacked in any configuration, or put on opposite ends of a stage. The mono signal out of my GK pre is split into stereo by my Zoom B3 and fed back into my Crown XLS 1000. They take the low B from my 4004CiiV and put my drummer (who never thought a 10" was a usable speaker for bass) and put him right in his place. These cabs are covered in Tolex and have nice heavy metal speaker grills, but part of the cost cutting measures taken to keep prices down when they came back to the US was to go with spray on textured covering and cloth grill covers.
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

For larger venues: Ampeg SVT 410HLF cabinet powered with a GK 1001 RB. :twisted:

Smaller rooms: SWR Wokingman's Pro ( :wink: ) Single 12 Combo.

Lately in rehearsal: Leslie 825 cabinet and pre-amp, and Fender '65 RI Twin Reject (Ric-O-Sound with bass p/u to the Leslie and treble p/u to the Twin). 8)

This just in: Rickenbacker TR120B. :)
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I used to have a pair of Ampeg SVT 410HLF's. Best cabs ever, but since I no longer have an SUV and didn't want to have to depend on anyone helping me load up gear, I went with the more portable and modular concept of a 4x10 split in half.

Return to “The Low End”