Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Bass Cabinets

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:...bass tweeters.....
:lol: :lol: oxymoron :lol: :lol:

I think the tweeter burned out in my Minimark a long time ago but I can't tell the difference! :mrgreen:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

My bassist, Joe, uses one of these http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html.
We built the Jack 210 in a day. Loaded it with two Emminence Deltalite 10s. Weighs nothing and sounds huge! Drives it with an Ampeg SVT4 head.

Cost $60.00 in birch ply, glue, Duratex and hardware, another $130 in speakers and piezos. And a sunny Saturday. Finishing took another couple of hours on Sunday.

I liked it so much I built an XF212 for me.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:
:lol: :lol: oxymoron :lol: :mrgreen:
WHO U CALLIN' WHAT,NOW ??? :lol: 8) :twisted:

I think tweeters,horns,et al,are probably great if you are going for a clean,hi-fi bass sound. I am not.... :mrgreen:
marc61

Post by marc61 »

My Markbass direct box right into the PA suits me fine :)

but if not, I have an orange 2x10 and a GK 210T that are workhorses
T28

Post by T28 »

marc61 wrote:My Markbass direct box right into the PA suits me fine :)
I always admired you guys that can DI direct to the PA and be ok.
Me, even when I DI through the PA I gotta have that bass vibration flapping my pant legs on stage!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

woodyng wrote:
jps wrote:
:lol: :lol: oxymoron :lol: :mrgreen:
WHO U CALLIN' WHAT,NOW ??? :lol: 8) :twisted:

I think tweeters,horns,et al,are probably great if you are going for a clean,hi-fi bass sound. I am not.... :mrgreen:
I wish more bass cabinet makers would offer cabinets without tweeters. Unless I was playing in a modern smooth jazz band, I'd never use the tweeter. Bassists were getting plenty of highs without tweeters for years.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote: Bassists were getting plenty of highs without tweeters for years.
Decades! :wink:
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

T28 wrote:
marc61 wrote:My Markbass direct box right into the PA suits me fine :)
I always admired you guys that can DI direct to the PA and be ok.
Me, even when I DI through the PA I gotta have that bass vibration flapping my pant legs on stage!
Ayunh to that. Especially when you get a soundman wannabe/guitarist who firmly believes that bass should be an afterthought in the mix.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

rickenbrother wrote:Bassists were getting plenty of highs without tweeters for years.
I could be mistaken but I think the advent of tweeters for bass cabs came about as a result of everyone wanting to start using slap technique, which, unlike just about every other bass sound, needs tons of high end to sound like some of the players who made it famous.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:I could be mistaken but I think the advent of tweeters for bass cabs came about as a result of everyone wanting to start using slap technique, which, unlike just about every other bass sound, needs tons of high end to sound like some of the players who made it famous.
Larry Graham is probably one of the first, and highly recognized, Slappists® and he did just fine without tweeters. :wink:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickenbrother wrote:Bassists were getting plenty of highs without tweeters for years.
And so were guitarists, drummers, singers, etc. They didn't even need speakers...
:twisted: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:
cassius987 wrote:I could be mistaken but I think the advent of tweeters for bass cabs came about as a result of everyone wanting to start using slap technique, which, unlike just about every other bass sound, needs tons of high end to sound like some of the players who made it famous.
Larry Graham is probably one of the first, and highly recognized, Slappists® and he did just fine without tweeters. :wink:
Jeff, I was gonna say that it you didn't! 8)
cjj wrote:
And so were guitarists, drummers, singers, etc. They didn't even need speakers...
:twisted: :lol: :lol:
Still makes me wonder what you're really doing with that Rack-O-Sound box, man! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
teeder

Post by teeder »

I gotta have that bass vibration flapping my pant legs on stage!
This!

Lately, I've been using an Ampeg 2X10 loaded with EV's ( plenty of highs without the horn) with an Ampeg 4X10 HE for "Full Band" gigs, and just picked up an Ampeg B-15R for my "acoustic" gigs.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

rickenbrother wrote: I wish more bass cabinet makers would offer cabinets without tweeters. Unless I was playing in a modern smooth jazz band, I'd never use the tweeter. Bassists were getting plenty of highs without tweeters for years.
Yeah i hate to pay for something i know i'm not gonna use. OTOH, even though i am allergic to any kind of work involving wiring,etc, it was dead simple to disconnect the tweeter in my combo. Markbass basically says that by turning up the VLE control,it defeats the tweeter,but it also removes the highs from the speaker as well. And its not a particularly good sound,AFAIC.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:
I gotta have that bass vibration flapping my pant legs on stage!
This!
I bring one of these if I really need my pants flapping on stage! :mrgreen:

Return to “The Low End”