Bass Amp ID

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

marc61

Bass Amp ID

Post by marc61 »

Trying to help a friend ID these. We're not sure if they work or not, and they're not for sale but still curious if there's any value

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Bass Amp ID

Post by jps »

They look like they lived under water (Hurricane Sandy comes to mind). I'd say there's not much of value there.
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

Even in primo shape, neither is a "must-have" vintage amp. They don't look to be in primo shape.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

I had the same Peavey amp back in the late 80s. I think the cab was a 1-15. Bet those are some funky smellin' amps :lol:
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Years ago when we were in the amp business, a customer arrived at the factory on the bus, dragging in one of our sealed back bass amp models for repair. The condition was similar to these.

The amp department manager took the amp in, put it on the worktable, and pulled the speaker out to release the chassis. As he did, thousands of cockroaches flooded out in all directions. Essentially the entire speaker box was filled with teeming bugs. (Fortunately he reacted fairly quickly, jammed the speaker back in and threw it in a garbage bag and sprayed insecticide in it.)

I can't tell you how long and how much boric acid it took to knock the resulting infestation out of the building! To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some descendants of that colony still here, perhaps 20 years later.

Indeed, these look like they either belonged to a Cajun band or spent quite a bit of time in a damp cellar.
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

johnhall wrote:The amp department manager took the amp in, put it on the worktable, and pulled the speaker out to release the chassis. As he did, thousands of cockroaches flooded out in all directions.
I can't describe how loud I I laughed when I read this! Must have been quite a surprise.
grenadilla

Post by grenadilla »

The bass player I played guitar with had a Peavey like that with a 215 cabinet. It worked every Friday and Saturday for about a year.It had about 200 watts and did CCR songs about as good as a Kustom. I hated that amp.

Return to “The Low End”