Best strings for 12-string Rickenbacker

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

Best strings for 12-string Rickenbacker

Post by kvalois »

I hope that Jim doesn't mind that I've tried to start a new topic just on the best strings!!!
Anyway, I know that Roger for years has urged all of us to buy Pyramid strings. I never did!!! Some people have told me that they are way overpriced and may not be good for the neck, if left on for a long time.

Can any members here expand upon this and offer specific suggestions (brand name, etc) for the best strings???

Thanks,

Karl :D
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Best strings for 12-string Rickenbacker

Post by teb »

Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats are very popular for vintage sound, very long life, and being easy on both the neck and your fingers. You may need to order them as individual strings from a place like Just Strings, but it is well worth the trouble. I use 41/25, 33/20, 25/13, 20/10, 13/13, 10/10 diameters on my twelves. Those on my 370/12 are approaching three years old and still sound great after a lot of playing time.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

kvalois wrote:I hope that Jim doesn't mind that I've tried to start a new topic just on the best strings!!!
Anyway, I know that Roger for years has urged all of us to buy Pyramid strings. I never did!!! Some people have told me that they are way overpriced and may not be good for the neck, if left on for a long time.
I've used Pyramids on all my Rics and none of them have had serious neck issues. And I generally keep them tuned to concert pitch as well. As for value for the dollar, they're excellent. Pyramids stay bright and responsive for years!

The only guitar I have neck issues with is my 360-12 CW. Ironically, I use Rickenbacker strings on that guitar... but I seriously doubt that the strings are the cause of the neck issues.

I love that guitar, but it won't intonate and over the past five years or so the action has been awful. I've adjusted the truss rods as much as they can be adjusted. I think I'm going to replace the truss rods.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I don't mind. Be advised you're going to get the same old opinions discussed elsewhere on the RRF.

I've never used Pyramids. And for the most part they seem to be shunned by 12 string players on the forum. TI flats are very highly regarded instead. I have been using Curt Mangan strings from Pick Of The Ricks, and have been very happy with them.

JimK
vjf1968

Post by vjf1968 »

kvalois wrote:I hope that Jim doesn't mind that I've tried to start a new topic just on the best strings!!!

Can any members here expand upon this and offer specific suggestions (brand name, etc) for the best strings???

Thanks,

Karl :D
Go to www.pickofthericks.com They have what you need. The Thomastik-Infeld seems the way to go. Just remember when putting them on DO NOT TRIM THE STRING UNTIL YOU HAVE IT WOUND ON THE POST. One you have a few windings then you can trim it. This was told to me personally by Chris at Pick Of The Ricks
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I currently have my 2012 360/12c63 strung with TI Flats and my 1991 330/12 with Pick of the Ricks Compressed Rounds. The feel of the two guitars is remarkably different, as you would expect. But, contrary to what one might assume, the flats are low-tension and very easy on the fingers. They also happen to intonate well with a 6-saddle bridge and to last years. All of these observations have been made here many times before.

As for tone, the TI Flats dull the sound of each fundamental (low) course and thus accentuate the sound of each octave, to produce a more treble-heavy, jangly, sound, with a clear sixties vibe. The compressed roundwounds don't sound as harsh as the various brands of regular roundwounds I've tried over the years (including D'Addario XL's and POTR Curt Mangan Fusion NIckel Matched). For obvious reasons, the compressed rounds produce more rattle than the flats, particularly when played through a JangleBox with the JangleBoost engaged. But one could argue that this is part of the classic Rickenbacker sound.

I like having different string sets on my two Rick 12's because the guitars play and feel and sound so different from one another. String choice all depends on what tone and feel you're looking for, so finding the right strings may take some experimentation. With the exception of Pyramids (which have gotten some rough press here), I don't think you can make a mistake following any of the suggestions in this thread. Happy string-hunting and good luck! :D

Robert
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I had tried Pyramids on the 370-12RM, and the duller sound is what it needed;I didn't like the feel ,and they pulled the neck, indicating higher tension.
In 2005, I tried a TI Js 110 set for the root strings, and found that satisfactory.They stayed on it until last year, when the tailpiece fractured,and it was time for a change.I installed a Ernie Ball 2230 set ,and they work fine on it(I had already tried them on the 660-12).They aren't especially bright, and work ok with the jangle effects.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

My error: POTR actually calls their compressed roundwound strings "Compressed Wound."
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

There are four commonly accepted sets among RR forumites:

1) The RIC factory set;
2) The TI nickel flats custom set;
3) The Curt Mangan PTOR custom set;
4) The guitarstringsonline.com custom D'Addario set especially priced for RR forumites, and has the wound unison G-3rd string, which the stock D'Addario set does not have.

It just depends on the variety of jangle you want out of your guitar.

I prefer my own custom singles set of D'Addario XL's: 9-9; 11 1/2-11 1/2; 17w-8; 24w-10; 32w-14; 42w-22w.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

jimk wrote:... I have been using Curt Mangan strings from Pick Of The Ricks, and have been very happy with them.

JimK
I'm also very happy with Curt Mangan's from POTR.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I think I need to add an update. I've switched over to TI Jazz flats for a couple of weeks now. And although a bit pricey, I like them just a bit better than the Curt Mangans. The TI's reputation among 12 string players on the RRF seems to be justified. The nice thing about the flats is that one doesn't have that telltale finger squeak typical of round wound strings. And the apparent chime and jangle does seem to be accentuated a bit more by the duller sound of the wound strings. So if the longevity of the TI flats is true, (and I suspect it is) then they're worth the price.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimk wrote:So if the longevity of the TI flats is true, (and I suspect it is) then they're worth the price.
JimK
It is true. 8)
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Curt Mangan strings, as recommended by Pick Of the Ricks.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Curt Mangans are great strings, possibly the best roundwounds available for 12-string. However, I found, after a while, that the tone of roundwound strings was a bit too harsh for me, and I'm also very finicky about rattles and finger-squeak. For those reasons, I opted for POTR Compressed Wound strings on the 330/12 and TI Flats on the 360/12c63.
collin

Post by collin »

Nothing wrong the regular old D'addario 12-string electric sets available at any music shop. Just sayin...

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”