Best guitar cable for Rickenbcker 12

Those who flock to The Byrds
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Best guitar cable for Rickenbcker 12

Post by cjj »

Yeah, gold plating on connectors is a lot of hype, especially on guitar cables. It's main advantage is not so much better conductivity (silver and copper are better), but its resistance to corrosion, and for that reason it's widely used in connectors. Unfortunately, gold is very soft and very expensive, so on a connector that gets a lot of use, the plating has to be very thick to not wear off too fast. This is just too expensive to be practical, and it will eventually wear off anyway.

Nickel, on the other hand is very resistant to corrosion too, much cheaper, and a lot tougher than gold. Fortunately, on connectors that get used a lot, there's a lot of scraping and sliding as the connectors get plugged and unplugged. This acts to scrape off whatever corrosion is there assuring a good connection even though you don't have the most corrosion-proof plating.

And yes, a lot of gold plated connectors do have some sort of clear coat to keep them looking good longer. This is totally for looks as these coatings are generally pretty bad conductors. But hey, in the world of marketing and profit, getting it sold and having it look good are often far more profitable than actual performance...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Dane and CJ!!!
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Inexpensive cables are usually Asian imports, on which the plug's diameter is 6mm and not 1/4 in.
Like .24 in. v .25in.
Leaves a bit of slopiness in the fit.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I chose Bayou Cables because be provides a quality product at a reasonable price.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

fatcat wrote:Leaves a bit of slopiness in the fit.
That's what she said :wink:
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Hey Karl for what it's worth I too pick up a radio station on my LERM with compressor as well as when using my Jangle Box with my 360/12. The only difference is on my Ric I mget better reception. I have not tried this yet but I wonder if it has anything to do with a weak battery??
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

aceonbass wrote:
fatcat wrote:Leaves a bit of slopiness in the fit.
That's what she said :wink:
Nobody I know. :wink:

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”