NBD: 2013 Guild Starfire (Newark St Collection)

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

NBD: 2013 Guild Starfire (Newark St Collection)

Post by sloop_john_b »

deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: NBD: 2013 Guild Starfire (Newark St Collection)

Post by deaconblues »

Looking good! Hollowbody basses are so cool.

I heard a guy playing some jazz on one of the new thinline Guilds today at Rudy's Soho. Sounded really good -- much better than expected.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Very cool,the pickup placement looks perfect too. Is this a full 34" scale?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I am happy to see that FMIC (Guild) put the pickup in the correct location. 8)
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Very Nice! 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Good lookin' bass! Sounds pretty decent too!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

woodyng wrote:Very cool,the pickup placement looks perfect too. Is this a full 34" scale?
30" scale Woody - I don't like 34" on hollowbodies. I feel like the reach to the first position is way too far, and balance issues tend to be bad (though this one is a bit of a diver too). I had a 34" Warwick Star Bass and it was so uncomfortable to play, and though I love the concept (and price) of the Gibson Midtown, I feel like it would be more of the same. The Jack Casady too.

Despite a little neck dive, this balances really well and doesn't feel unnatural to play at all.

Here's a gut shot of the pickup - looks like FMIC really put some time and effort into this - it appears to be the real deal!
attachment.jpg
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Just curious, never having played a semi-hollow bass, does it have much (any?) volume played acoustically?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cjj wrote:Just curious, never having played a semi-hollow bass, does it have much (any?) volume played acoustically?
The fully-hollow ones (like a German-made Hofner for example) do; most that are built more solidly (Starfire, 4005, Lakland) will offer a BIT more volume acoustically than a solidbody, but not very much.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

sloop_john_b wrote:
woodyng wrote:Very cool,the pickup placement looks perfect too. Is this a full 34" scale?
30" scale Woody - I don't like 34" on hollowbodies. I feel like the reach to the first position is way too far, and balance issues tend to be bad (though this one is a bit of a diver too). I had a 34" Warwick Star Bass and it was so uncomfortable to play, and though I love the concept (and price) of the Gibson Midtown, I feel like it would be more of the same. The Jack Casady too.

Yeah,i have noticed most 335-type hb basses to have those issues for me,too,but i really do not like ss necks on anything,except a Mustang. I love the sound of a hb bass,and have purchased quite a few of them over the years,probably the best one overall was the Lakland HB. Still,this looks like something i'd like to try out,and sounds great. (Kudos to your playing,as always)
The Rimini i had was well balanced,comffortable,and sounded great,but the bulbous frets bugged me,and i do not have easy access to folks with luthiery skills where i am,so through swapping,etc,have wound up with a Carvin ac40 fretless,which for the moment, :wink: i totally adore.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Unfortunately the Starfire has quite bulbous frets as well. Why do they do that? :?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I want something that can cop the massive thump of my dad's fake Hofner. Is that something only Hofner (and clones) can do or does this cop that as well? The short scale bit makes it sound promising.

Also, the bisonic is a single coil with two pole pieces per string?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cassius987 wrote:I want something that can cop the massive thump of my dad's fake Hofner. Is that something only Hofner (and clones) can do or does this cop that as well? The short scale bit makes it sound promising.

Also, the bisonic is a single coil with two pole pieces per string?
No, this isn't really a "massive thump" kinda bass - more woody and Fender-esque, really.

I'd go for a Verythin Bass, personally!

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cassius987 wrote: Also, the bisonic is a single coil with two pole pieces per string?
What you're seeing are polepieces and height adjusters. Here's the underside of a Darkstar:

woodyng

Post by woodyng »

sloop_john_b wrote:Unfortunately the Starfire has quite bulbous frets as well. Why do they do that? :?
It was the deal breaker for me on the Rimini. I am keeping my eyes out for a fretless Rimini,should it ever be offered.... 8)

Hey Cassius,what brand faker is your Dad's bass? I used to have a Greco super Beetle that was excellent. I just saw fellow RRF-ite Jeff Golightly's band,Geoffry and the Pacemakers do a show in Memphis,their bassist was using one of those new cheapy copies (rogue) and sounding great. Plus my Carvin AC40 with the labella tapewounds is MUY thumpy.
Last edited by woodyng on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”