Gin Blossoms "Until I Fall Away" cover posted

A round-table feedback exchange
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

For the 6 (?) or so people who might still be interested, the song can be found at the bottom of the page at: http://beatbyrd.com/misc_covers
There is a 360/12 used on the tune. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Tom, that Gin Blossoms cover sounds great. I really like your layered, harmony vocals and the guitar work is real tasty. That Ric 12 string really comes shining through. :) You should try a few more Gin Blossoms tunes as they seem a good fit.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Gin Blossoms "Until I Fall Away" cover posted

Post by cjj »

Another great recording! Well done!
8) 8) :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

cjj wrote:Another great recording! Well done!
8) 8) :D
+1!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Excellent. Tom! We do some Gin Blossoms in the band but we certainly don't pull it off like you do all by your lonesome! 8)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Thanks to all for the comments. I like the way that the song came out, but I'm having second thoughts about the double-tracked lead vocal. It sounds odd to me in a lot of spots. I might go back and try a mix with just a single tracked LV and maybe attempt a better imitation of the GB's lead singer. The only other Gin Blossoms song I had considered was "Found Out About You", but the one I covered won out.

I got a real kick out of your comment Jeff.......... I have the luxury of many, many punch-ins and the patience to play the same song over and over for 20 - 30 hours, which is what these covers average. Thanks again for the encouragement. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I'm sorry this response has come so long after the song was posted. I wouldn't mess with it too much. This may be the best cover you've done. The guitars, drums, and vocal harmonies are spot on. I haven't heard the original in years, but your recording sounds professional, as always. Keep up the wonderful work!

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”