Super shifter

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

david/wales/u.k

Super shifter

Post by david/wales/u.k »

Suprisingly, I've never read anything about this pedal here but after recently picking up a Boss PS-5 super shifter (pitch shifter) I can't put my 330/6 down. I reckon it is the 'missing link' I've been looking for. Played along with the JB1 and Boss CE-2 Chorus, this pedal has given my 6 string that 'melodic ring' that has added to my sound spectacularly. Even the wife commented on how beautiful it sounded...even saying that it sounded like there were 3 guitars playing. I would say that it has given me that 12 string sound with none of the 'hassle' that can come with a 12 string -imo- (difficult and time consuming string changes-expensive string changes for acid hands like mine....difficulty with playing certain chords/shapes e.t.c) For an idea on the type of sound it gives, listen to Johnny Marr playing 'There is a light' on youtube (falling in love with the guitar) This is what led me to finding that 'mystery' ringing type sound that compression-chorus-delay by themselves didn't seem to give.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Super shifter

Post by jdogric12 »

Glad to hear you're enjoying phase, although I can't imagine it quite mimicking a 12er... but hey you dig it, so that's awesome itself.

I too have acid hands... wipe EVERY time you set the guitar down. This makes the difference between strings lasting 2 months vs 2 days for me.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Oh and I have a Boss PH1r, and several versions of SmallStone, including an original from the late 70's, which I use often on my Fender Rhodes of the same era. Instant Billy Joel a la Just the Way You Are.
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

I wouldn't play the shifter on its own. It has to be with some chorus and compression. Also, the speed control has to be set really low (slight turn clockwise and that's it) otherwise it does sound artificial. It's like salt on food. A little bit is great. Too much or on its own and it would sickly and awful.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”