Byrds Effect ?

Those who flock to The Byrds
Wurlitzer

Byrds Effect ?

Post by Wurlitzer »

How can I achieve this effect of the lead guitar ?

http://youtu.be/ThczUcrxnns

Starts at 58 seconds
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Byrds Effect ?

Post by jimk »

Sorry to take so long for a response. I'll try to answer your question, (if I can) when the audio function on my computer gets fixed. Hang on.

In the meantime, maybe one of our Byrdmaniax or recording gurus out there can help. Christian? Beatbyrd?
JimK
soma89

Post by soma89 »

Great tune. Great album. On the solo I hear one speaker with a backwards guitar riff and the other one playing heavily compressed and....hmmm some amp tube compression aswell. I don`t know what else. They were really creating some crazy effects at that time. I wanna say some sort of delay
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:Sorry to take so long for a response. I'll try to answer your question, (if I can) when the audio function on my computer gets fixed. Hang on.

In the meantime, maybe one of our Byrdmaniax or recording gurus out there can help. Christian? Beatbyrd?
JimK
Not a guru by any means, but thanks anyway Jim. I think that "Change is Now" was recorded around the time that McGuinn took the amp out of a portable record player and added a speaker from a walkie-talkie and then ran his guitar through it. I've thought about trying to replicate that setup, but the description is pretty vague. Maybe it's just a case of really overwhelming a 4 or 5 inch speaker and miking the results. Seems like it might be a 'use once; throw it away' kinda thing. I hold out hope that Steve Lasko has nearly perfected the 'Change is Now' stompbox.

For any SoCal Byrds fans: Roger (with Marty Stuart) will be appearing this October at Pepperdine University in Malibu. It's a great intimate venue (400 - 450?) and there are no bad seats. Tickets go on sale in late June. Two McGuinn shows ago at Pepperdine, Tom Petty showed up to play.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Didn't McGuinn first make this experiment when he recorded the "Eight Miles High" solo, on the album "Fifth Dimension"?
vjf1968

Post by vjf1968 »

Late to the party I know but McGuinn was heavily into his new Moog synthesiser and interfacing it with the guitar. Paul Bever did something similar with The Doors on "When The Music's Over". Basically you take a guitar track from the console and feed it into the Moog and manipulate the wave form. It sounds like that is what is happening here. Add on the compressed lead solo and there you have it. But that is just my opinion.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”