Need better lead sustain

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

turner

Need better lead sustain

Post by turner »

I also posted this on the modern guitar forum and it was suggested I post it here.

I am very happy with my gear set up with my band, but I feel the only spot it's missing a bit is when I do a lead that would require some sustain. I'm using guitar: a Rickenbacer 330 w/Higains. Amp: laney vc30. I've tried a Boss cs2 but I think it sucks all my tone and is the antithesis of sustain. Tried my Ibanez ts that I normally like with other gear, but not this. so I'm currently using my Vox valve tone pedal, I feel it's ok but I would like something that would give more "singing" sustain. Before I spend any more money I thought I would consult the experts...you guys
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: Need better lead sustain

Post by whojamfan »

Try a Crowther Hotcake in Bluesberry mode. Extremely sensitive controls so it takes a minute to really dial it in, but well worth it.
Dom

Re: Need better lead sustain

Post by Dom »

A treble booster is my favorite ingredient for singing lead tones. I made a DIY alembic stratoblaster and it does the trick and it is super cheap. I like the added sensitivity so I leave it on all the time so I'm building a second one just for leads... I'll house them together in one stompbox. A rangemaster clone or derivative would be a great choice too. Boss compressor doesn't do it for me & the Bad Monkey (a 2 EQ Tube screamer) is decent for dirt but never pushes the amp like I want for leads. I'm building a Tube Sound Fuzz (Red Llama) tonight which is pretty responsive to pick attack.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”