Partial Capo, Anyone?

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jimk
RRF Consultant

Partial Capo, Anyone?

Post by jimk »

I just got back from the Kerrville Folk Festival yesterday, and brought home a Shubb partial capo. One way it covers the D, G, and B strings. Flipped the other way, and the A, D, and G strings are covered. So with the capo on the 2nd fret, you get E, A, E, A, C#, E; Spanish tuning without retuning. Flipped the other way you get E, B, E, A, B, E; or basically DADGAD tuning up a whole step. I tried it out both ways on the Rick 12. And boy oh boy, a new arrangement of Chimes of Freedom in the key of E is a whole lot easier to sing.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Partial Capo, Anyone?

Post by jps »

I keep reading about partials :mrgreen: on the AGF. I have been doing a lot of playing lately in DADGAD with a capo at the 2nd fret, what a glorious tone I get from the Martin. Maybe I'll try one of those so I don't have to tune down.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I have a spider capo. Let's you bar any combinataion of strings on any size fretboard, it's fun to play around with.
creative-tunings-spider-capo-594688.jpg
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I have one of those Spider capos. I don't like it, either. Takes too much time to adjust, and if not positioned just so, it will dig into the neck of your guitar. It also doesn't work very well on a 12 string. It tends to pinch the strings together. I think the Shubb is a better idea.
JimK
freshmattyp

Post by freshmattyp »

I used to mess around with "Dropped E" tuning, capo the top 5 strings at the 2nd fret, leaving the low E open. Gives you the nice ringing D (E) chord, but still lets you play a G (A) chord with standard fingering. We can mess around with them next vocals only rehearsal for Getty.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”