Peter Buck - Brand of 12 Strings

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

harborcoat26

Peter Buck - Brand of 12 Strings

Post by harborcoat26 »

There's been a lot written about Pete's choice of strings for his 360, but I've never seen anything about his favorite strings for his 360/12. :(

Does anyone happen to know? If not, anyone have a favorite brand string for their 12? I'd like to hear you input. :D

I've only even used the the Rickenbacker brand (not that there's anything wrong with that :wink: )

Thanks!
1987 360/6 Mapleglo w/black (retired)
1998 360/12 Jetglo w/white
2008 360/6 Amber Fireglo
2003 Vox AC30HW Limited Edition
1965 Vox A.C.10 Twin

"Damn, the STUFF - stuff is my weakness!" Dale Gribble
jdawe

Re: Peter Buck - Brand of 12 Strings

Post by jdawe »

I have no idea what brand PB uses, but on the recommendation of many people here I've been using Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds from Pick of the Ricks on my 620-12, and they are great in every way: they sound good, they feel good, and they last for ages.
harborcoat26

Post by harborcoat26 »

Jonathan,

Thanks for your input!

I was looking into your suggestion and found this video comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBk5vswGEE
(sorry, couldn't get fancy little youtube player to work -- just click the link)

Thought others might appreciate it as well.

Thanks again!
Brian
1987 360/6 Mapleglo w/black (retired)
1998 360/12 Jetglo w/white
2008 360/6 Amber Fireglo
2003 Vox AC30HW Limited Edition
1965 Vox A.C.10 Twin

"Damn, the STUFF - stuff is my weakness!" Dale Gribble
Sweden

Post by Sweden »

harborcoat26 wrote:There's been a lot written about Pete's choice of strings for his 360, but I've never seen anything about his favorite strings for his 360/12. :(
Does anyone happen to know? If not, anyone have a favorite brand string for their 12? I'd like to hear you input. :D
I've only even used the the Rickenbacker brand (not that there's anything wrong with that :wink: )
Thanks!
Actually, Peter has only quite rarely used 12-strings, at least live. He used a 600-series 12-string live in 2008, with a 360/12 as backup, and before that there are just a few sightings of 360/12's around 1985. (Such as here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ZQPbK_ef0) He also used a Danelectro DC59/12 in 2001. In the studio it might be different of course, but I think it's safe to say he used less Rick 12-strings there than people think. A lot of the sounds are instead the result of multiple doubletracking, and he also used other brands of 12-strings. For example, Mitch Easter has posted elsewhere on here, mentioning that the 12-string on So. Central Rain is in fact a Fender XII.

As for string, accordingly I have no idea... 8)
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Well, it this one has stumped David, I doubt anyone, short of Mitch Easter or Joe Boyd, would know what strings Peter used on his 360/12. I agree with David that Peter almost never played his 360/12 onstage. But let's not forget how much that 12-string Rickenbacker defined the band's early sound, specifically on "Reckoning" and "Fables."

Peter's 360/12 can be heard loud and clear on "7 Chinese Bros.," "Pretty Persuasion," "Letter Never Sent," "Maps and Legends," "Life and How to Live it," "Green Grow the Rushes," "Kohoutek," "Good Advices," and "Wendell Gee." (There was plenty of electric 12-string on "Chronic Town" and "Murmur," but all of it appears to have been played on Mitch Easter's Fender XII.) If one listens carefully to the tracks I mentioned, not only can one hear the signature jangle, but one can hear that the fundamental (low) course is struck before the octave on downstrokes: a Rickenbacker trademark. Double-tracking and chorus effects aside, the Rickenbacker 12-string was essential to the early R.E.M. sound, and "Reckoning" and "Fables" are steeped in an influence that goes straight back to Roger McGuinn.
j.alderton

Post by j.alderton »

Interesting discussion. I did see a concert video on YouTube at some point in the past, clearly from the "Chronic Town" or "Murmur" days, and he was playing a Mapleglo 330/12 on stage. It was the first time I'd seen that particular guitar of his.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

j.alderton wrote:Interesting discussion. I did see a concert video on YouTube at some point in the past, clearly from the "Chronic Town" or "Murmur" days, and he was playing a Mapleglo 330/12 on stage. It was the first time I'd seen that particular guitar of his.
I would be very surprised if Peter was actually playing a 330/12 onstage at the time you cited. Would you mind sending us a link to the concert?

Thanks,

Robert
j.alderton

Post by j.alderton »

Folkie wrote:
j.alderton wrote:Interesting discussion. I did see a concert video on YouTube at some point in the past, clearly from the "Chronic Town" or "Murmur" days, and he was playing a Mapleglo 330/12 on stage. It was the first time I'd seen that particular guitar of his.
I would be very surprised if Peter was actually playing a 330/12 onstage at the time you cited. Would you mind sending us a link to the concert?

Thanks,

Robert
My apologies, folks. I was mistaken about this. I went back and looked at the video on YouTube (a full concert from October, 1985 - a great one to watch), and it was actually a MapleGlo 340/6. Also, more accurately it was from the "Fables of the Reconstruction" era.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jon,

That is a wonderful show, and it captures the band at the height of their Byrds influence, when they were touring to support what I consider to be their best album.

Too bad the only 12-string in the show appears when Peter straps on his Jetglo 360/12 to play "So. Central Rain" :!:

Robert
j.alderton

Post by j.alderton »

Folkie wrote:Jon,

That is a wonderful show, and it captures the band at the height of their Byrds influence, when they were touring to support what I consider to be their best album.

Too bad the only 12-string in the show appears when Peter straps on his Jetglo 360/12 to play "So. Central Rain" :!:

Robert

I agree, Robert, on both points.

I went back and listened to "Fables" again yesterday, and it's a splendid album. I was stuck again by Peter Buck's very distinct and original playing style. One would be hard pressed to find a comparable album where such a definitive Rickenbacker sound features so prominantly and contextually in the songs.

(I realize I've gotten a bit off topic from the original thread, but it seemed worth complimenting the album again!)

- Jon
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Jon,

I see "Fables" as a contemporary take on the Byrds' 12-string sound, and one of the finest folk-rock records in recent history. It was also a reaffirmation of the band's Southern roots, as the title indicates. As one reviewer put it, the album is "simultaneously up to date and as old as the hills." 8)

Robert

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”