Bass Sounds (cool comparisons video in song form)

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cassius987

Bass Sounds (cool comparisons video in song form)

Post by cassius987 »

p.s.: There's a modern Ric 4003 in there somewhere... he pulls some cool grindy-yet-smoove tones out of it as I'm sure many of us have experienced firsthand.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Bass Sounds (cool comparisons video in song form)

Post by sloop_john_b »

Really enjoyed that! He is a creative player with STUNNING chops to boot.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

sloop_john_b wrote:Really enjoyed that! He is a creative player with STUNNING chops to boot.
+1
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

This is definitely a headphones video.
Thanks a low, Joshua; some of these instruments I had not heard (nor even seen) before.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

That's kind of fun to watch and interesting to do with your own instruments. I put one together (just a sound file) with clips from recordings using my various basses a while back. It's always nice as a handy reference when your wife asks if you really need all those expensive guitars. :mrgreen:

In order of appearance:
Kala fretless U-Bass Ukulele, my old fretless Frankenstein Gibson Les Paul, Rickenbacker 2030 (mod-body), '69 Hagstrom 8-string, Pedulla Buzz fretless, and Hofner V63 Beatle

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... amples.mp3
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Quite the cornucopia of bassdom there! And awesome playing as well!
I really loved the sound he was getting from that Rob Allen.....
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Cool video, interesting to hear the differences!

Same with yours Todd, great to be able to hear how different bases sound!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

woodyng wrote:Quite the cornucopia of bassdom there! And awesome playing as well!
I really loved the sound he was getting from that Rob Allen.....
The Rob Allen is downright amazing in tone--of course the player is part of what makes it sound so good but it seems like I've never heard a Rob Allen played by anyone that failed to impress me. The Adamovic was probably my other favorite.
I think there's a healthy dose of mix bias involved in my decision, but my two favorites by far were the Ric and the Pedulla. All very nice recordings, Ted.

I posted these recordings in another thread already but now they seem pertinent here too, in a way, because instead of two different basses sounding different it's the same bass sounding two different ways.
cassius987 wrote:...I uploaded one of my old (now broken up) band's recordings; one is a live setting and the other is a demo made in the guitarist's basement. The song, "American Kids" can be heard as the second song in the set of the live recording (around 4:40). The basses and rigs are the same: my 4003FL through my fEARful 15/6 with a TC Classic 450 head, and I'm sure the preamp was set pretty much the same. I think I used an Aphex Punch Factory in front of the head both times too. The differences: at the gig, I'm soloing the bridge pickup and the strings are Circle K rounds. In the studio, it's Fender 9050s and I'm using the neck pickup exclusively. The tones are vast oceans apart from each other. The pickups themselves, by the way, are the same.

https://soundcloud.com/cassius987/midni ... t-gig-ever

https://soundcloud.com/cassius987/midni ... rican-kids

Return to “The Low End”