Any opions on a G&L ASAT bass?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

edski
Advanced Member

Any opions on a G&L ASAT bass?

Post by edski »

This is not about me...I'm building a custom fretless over the next 6 months or so....

But my guitar buddy has been dabbling in basses, wants to have one good/great one. He got a nice 2004 J Bass (which I loved), but he flipped it and made a couple hundred $. Since he's been out of work for a few years, I couldn't blame him, but he really wasn't turned on by that bass I suppose.

About a month ago he obtained a mid 80'd Peavey, trading a pedal he paid $25 for (some flanger, seems that it's worth far more than $25). OK bass, nothing great, but certainly worth more than a couple hundred.

This morning I swing by his place to pick him up and go play some tennis. I let myself in the open door, try to calm his crazy dog, and go into the living room where I see my son's red Music Man, and the Peavey...or is it? I see the Peavey to the right of my son's bass and do a double take. There's another Music Man to the left of my son's...what have we here? Joe horse trading again. I plug it in and wow!!! Has a P bass sized neck, beautiful birds eye maple neck, plays great, sounds great. A little worn, but nothing major wrong.

We talked a bit - he doesn't see so in love with this, but he respects Sting Rays, and got this at a sweet price. But he's been looking, and now we get to the subject - the ASAT. He's seen one at the local Guitar Center, and he knows the sales guys, so has developed an ability to actually deal with these guys (as far as they can deal). So they're willing to trade him the G&L ASAT for the Sting Ray he just got and the Peavy Dyna-Bass. From what GC wants for the G&L he'll double his $$.

Any opinions on the ASAT? From what I read they don't balance that well with a strap on them, but otherwise are great instruments. I'm a little miffed that he finds another great bass at a great price that I could fall in love with :) , but I also understand that he's making some extra needed cash flipping this stuff the last few years. He's good at it.

If he does do the trade I'm not left with totally unrequited love, however. The String Ray came with a pretty decent Dean case that would work for me for my custom build. He said he'd give it to me if he pulls the trigger on the ASAT. :lol:
cassius987

Re: Any opions on a G&L ASAT bass?

Post by cassius987 »

The tone always impresses me a lot. I don't like the fret size or neck feel though.

Return to “The Low End”