1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Danotron
Intermediate Member

1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass

Post by Danotron »

I've been playing more Bass lately and enjoying it.

I found this Bass online listed as a project bass that wasn't working from a seller that runs a program that donates musical instruments to students here in Los Angeles. When they get an instrument donated to them that doesn't work or that they can't use, they sell it and use the money to buy new instruments. I got lucky and all this needed was a new battery and a setup (yes - battery).

I bought this as a back up for my '73 Rick 4001 (as a long time guitar player I have the mentality that I need to have 2 guitars at a gig in case I break a string. My personal logic dictates that this must apply to basses as well even though the strings are much less likely to break. I must obey my brain :D ).

It's a 1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass with Moog designed active electronics. It weighs about 40 pounds ( :lol: ) and sounds like an angry piano. The strings go through the body below the bridge like a Telecaster but I couldn't find strings long enough to allow all 4 strings to do this, so I strung the low E behind the bridge which is another option.

It looks a bit different and is going to take a little work to get used to playing but I'm diggin' it. It has crazy sustain and a low end that can shake concrete!

It's not uncommon for people to come up to me after gigs and talk to me about my Rick because they don't see them all the time and mine has the cool vintage appointments. Wait until they get a look at this!

Any of you guys ever tried one of these?
Attachments
Gibson RD Artist Bass 1978.jpg
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: 1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass

Post by doctorwho »

Nice acquisition, Dan! Congrats! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

The Gibson RD Artist was one of those basses that I absolutely loved the sound of, but could never quite get on with.

There's only been two Gibson basses that I've ever liked - the RD Artist was one, and the Thunderbird 4 (which I love and have tried, but have never owned an example of) was the other. Like all Gibson basses the build quality was immaculate. Unfortunately, however much I wanted to like the RD, I always found myself fighting against it, which is always a sign that it's not your ideal bass. I loved the feel of the neck, but never felt that the sound. although great, was mine. It was very different from the bass sound my bandmates were used to, and it never really fitted into the funk band sound that we were trying to achieve at that time. I eventually gave way to the negative comments from the guitarist and the drummer and sold it. I've always regretted it though, as it had something all of its own that, although maybe not for me then, suggested that it could be in a different context.

Wished I still had it now, 10 years later...

Ash
Last edited by Ashgray on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have never played the RD Artist bass but I did used to have two RD Artist guitars in the early '80s which I should have kept at least one of. :(

Similar to Ash, I used to own a Ripper that I bought new in '77 but never really got on with. I swapped it for a '72 Telecaster Bass later that year.
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

Very cool, Dan! Enjoy! :D
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking forward to getting to know this bass more closely as I have more time with it. It's second to my Ric (which I love) but I can definitely see where it will have its place.

Now to figure out a way to sneak it into one of our local RRF get togethers so I can see how some of my more advanced Bass player friends put it through its paces 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Danotron wrote:Now to figure out a way to sneak it into one of our local RRF get togethers so I can see how some of my more advanced Bass player friends put it through its paces 8)
Not too hard, really. 8)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

These are supposed to be great for recording...a local musician here owns one,and i've been making overtures about checking it out,but so far we haven't managed to get together. The weight seems to be the main caveat about these .
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Never played one, never even seen one, but it definitely looks cool!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
collin

Post by collin »

Krist Novoselic special - I love it!

:D
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

woodyng wrote:These are supposed to be great for recording...a local musician here owns one,and i've been making overtures about checking it out,but so far we haven't managed to get together. The weight seems to be the main caveat about these .
Yeah, I was kidding about the 40 pounds but it's a heavy one for sure! I'm looking forward to getting it to band practice so I can turn it up.
collin wrote:Krist Novoselic special - I love it!

:D
Absolutely! He must have a very strong back :)
Attachments
Gibson RD Artist Bass Krist Novoselic.jpg
Gibson RD Artist Bass Krist Novoselic 2.jpg
s4001

Post by s4001 »

They're good sounding basses with a lot of character. A lot of bottom end and... er... sludge (?) to the tone. You'll dig it.
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

jps wrote:
Danotron wrote:Now to figure out a way to sneak it into one of our local RRF get togethers so I can see how some of my more advanced Bass player friends put it through its paces 8)
Not too hard, really. 8)
Jeff, you clearly have no idea how much grief has been bestowed upon those bringing non-Ricks to our jams. :lol:

Maybe I should bring my Squier Classic Vibe Tele and Vintage Modified Jaguar to the next gathering in a show of solidarity. What do you think, Dan? 8)
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

coolingitdown wrote:
jps wrote:
Not too hard, really. 8)
Jeff, you clearly have no idea how much grief has been bestowed upon those bringing non-Ricks to our jams. :lol:

Maybe I should bring my Squier Classic Vibe Tele and Vintage Modified Jaguar to the next gathering in a show of solidarity. What do you think, Dan? 8)
You should bring a few Rickenfakers...
:twisted: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

At some MARFs and at RIO!!! (and MicRIO) there were quite a few non-Ricks, nothing wrong with a great instrument regardless of the name on the headstock.

Return to “The Low End”