What? No Jangle?

Those who flock to The Byrds
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: What? No Jangle?

Post by jps »

You may be right, but that was the first thing that sprang to mind when I read John's post.

For example, I did not know until just a couple of years ago that John Entwistle wore hearing aids; I learned about that from an interview with Mark Gooday of Ashdown Engineering in Bass Guitar Magazine (UK). No real surprise there, though!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

My comment was with regard to the audience. As suggested above, the lack of a more contemporary career means that his core audience now is the same one that he developed in the 1960's and we're not getting any younger.

As an aside, I recently mentioned Roger's name to the young manager/DJ/programmer of a pretty hip radio station, one that claims to play music across the generations, recommending Roger for a slot in a festival. He said "who"? (For the record he said the same thing about The Smithereens too.) To the manager's credit, he still reached out to Roger on my recommendation and asked him to play at a local festival this last weekend but was turned down. Colin Hay played instead . . . along with a range of younger artists who just may have been influenced by Roger's earlier work.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

With the shrillness thing in mind, it appears that McGuinn has rolled off the tone of his Rickenbacker.

Here is the control panel from the limited edition signature model he's been using since 1988:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/images/cata ... uinn-2.jpg

Apparently, he's using position 1 of the 6 way control in recent days, which 25 years ago, position 5 was his favorite. My, how times have changed.

Jeff Phelps: You may be onto something about that hearing aid comment. Pete Townshend and Jeff Beck (amongst a slew of our favorite rockers) also suffer from tinnitus as well.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

This recent video of the brief tour with Marty Stuart reveals that McGuinn is using his number 1 signature model, and is it just me, or have his playing and overall tone improved?

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

I think that a bunch of what you hear as jangle is being supplied by Marty's tele. You can especially hear when Marty adds to or leaves space on the solo. I have to say that compared to the gig I saw (zero jangle), Roger's Rick sounds a bit more like it should. But he's still fairly far down in the mix, even on this clip. I look it as an incredible opportunity lost. Roger, with Marty's band of great players/singers, had a five piece band that sounded better than the Byrds could have ever possibly dreamed. It just cries out for the Byrds signature guitar sound to be featured up front in the mix. He could have sold Byrds fans tons of CDs of this live gig, compared to his latest release of sea shanties.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
MDL

Post by MDL »

This is probably well-known but, Marty's Tele is Clarence White's string bender Tele. Yes, Marty and his band are great, Kenny the other guitarist is as good as Marty.
Steve Gunderson

Post by Steve Gunderson »

Reading these posts makes me think about how lucky I was when in around 2000 I saw Roger (for my second time, but in a much better venue, the Jazz Cafe in north London). Why this was special was because Camilla brought out his RM 370 -12 and sat it in a stand right in the middle of the stage. That was it! No other guitar! All the songs were on the one guitar. I wished I had filmed it!

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”